For Xbox

Started by
4 comments, last by JBourrie 17 years, 10 months ago
How and where do I get started programming for Xbox. I don't know anything about it. HOW!?!?!
------------------------------Trust me, I do this all the time.
Advertisement
Really developing for XBox is quite difficult. You need to become a licensed developer for the XBox, i.e. Microsoft has to approve that you can develop for XBox, and you need to buy an (expensive) development XBox and the XBox XDK.

I know of two options now:

• Install Linux on your XBox (More info) and develop a Linux(-compatible game).

• If you think you have a really great idea, and want to take a shot at becoming a licensed developer, read this document, code away and submit your stuff for approval.

EDIT: typo

[Edited by - DaBono on June 8, 2006 2:56:33 PM]
Or you can take the most practical route -- Get a job at a game company that develops for it.

An individual won't get a devkit. Established companies have to jump through a bunch of hoops just to be considered for it.
Quote:Original post by Acid rain
How and where do I get started programming for Xbox. I don't know anything about it. HOW!?!?!

Program a game in DirectX 8 for PC. If it's good enough, you could try and get it through to a publisher. Porting DX8 to XBox is a relatively easy process (or DX9 to XBox360).

Oh, and all the punctuation is unnecessary.,;![_:`)?

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Keep in mind it's probably vastly unlikely that a publisher will bother with it. Just write a PC game.
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Keep in mind it's probably vastly unlikely that a publisher will bother with it. Just write a PC game.

That's what's nice about it, though. You can write a PC game with XBox in mind without doing any extra work, then if a publisher does show some interest the port is (relatively) easy. That's one of the things that makes developing for XBox such a (comparatively) painless process.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement