Sign in to follow this  
Helderash

The purpose of stdarg.h?

Hello folks! After spending a good deal of time reading "C++: A Beginner's Guide" by Herbert Schildt, and doing a couple of C/C++ courses at university I thought I'd try my hand at "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX 2ed." by Jim Adams. I was just wondering if anyone can help me out a little on a piece of his source code. In his section on Building an Application Framework, he includes a function to display error messages to the user in case an error occurs. A section of this function reads: va_list valist; if(Fatal == FALSE) strcpy(CaptionText, "Error"); else strcpy(CaptionText, "Fatal Error"); va_start(valist, Text); vsprintf(ErrorText, Text, valist); va_end(valist); I'm guessing va_list, va_start, va_end, etc. are part of stdarg.h, though I've never come across them before. I was wondering if anyone could let me know what these do, and why they are necessary. Thankyou for everything! James.

They're used for passing a Variable number of Arguments (hence the VA prefix) to a function. An example is printf(), where you can pass as many parameters as you like (Well, so long as you have enough stack space).

A use for them is in a logging function (Like the one the author uses). So you can pass a format string (E.g. "Error %d: %s\n") and some parameters (E.g. 42, "It's broken") to it.

They are used to create functions that take variable parameters (like printf). This is a C idiom (called the elipsis construct). It is not really recommended for C++ code because in C++, you can achieve the same functionality, in a type safe way, with function overloading and streams.

Ah, thankyou very much. I'll leave them in for now, and when I've seen the function used a little later in the book I'll attempt to modify them to make use of the C++ features.

No doubt I'll find a million and one things to trouble me before then though :P

There's lots of ugly stuff in there, really. You shouldn't be using any of the str* family of functions in C++; it's a different language from C, and it provides a standard library with *real* strings in it. ;) Also, C++ provides a *real* boolean type, called 'bool' in *lowercase*, and its values are 'true' and 'false', also lowercase. Also, there's no good reason to compare things to literal true and false.

Converting a va_args function to use streams instead is not trivial, and can't be done without seeing all the context. The thing is that the *interface* will change (very much for the better). Chances are that you want to make your own *object* that represents an "error stream", which holds on to a string-stream as a "buffer" for error text to display, and exposes a stream-like interface (overloads of the operator<< for example) and a "display" function (you could actually overload the operator<< to respond to std::endl by displaying a message box containing the .str().c_str() of the stringstream buffer).