Learning Resources

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 10 months ago
Me and and four friends are planning on forming a deveopment team, but we first need to learn everything about game development. All of us have no gamedevelopment experience. I know a little about C++ and 3D animation. I was curious about what we should use to learn game development together.
Advertisement
Hi,

First you need to decide what type of game you want to make, since every different type of game has different skill requirements.

Then you need to decide whether to create it from scratch or use some 3rd party engine to drive your game.

If you know this, one can make an estimate on the skills required.

Greetings...
You shouldn't form a team for a good long time. The technical issues will wear you down and cause interpersonal friction, keeping you from getting anything done.

There's no good replacement for a body of experience, but you can at least get your individual technical skills up to competence. Have everyone break up and make a game or two -- artists and designers can use some click together tool and people who want to learn programming can learn programming.

You absolutely must not, under any circumstances, include people on your team that can't keep up. Even if they're brilliant, the friction of them getting up to speed will tear your schedules and plans apart.
Well we won't actually be making any games for a couple months. The whole purpose of this team is to learn how to develop games. We basically no almost nothing about programming, 3D animation, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement