Connecting multiple headsets to a single computer

Started by
2 comments, last by skjinedmjeet 17 years, 10 months ago
Does anyone have any experience with (or know if it's even possible) to have multiple audio inputs to a computer at one time? I am not talking about mixing the inputs into one, but rather several different inputs to several different applications. Thanks, John
Advertisement
You'll probably want to look at a higher-end USB or Firewire based interface. MOTU, EMU and other companies manufacture what you're looking for!

I'm confused about te "multiple headsets" though; if you're talking about having multiple pairs of headphones plugged in, each receiving a different mix, you'll need to look at an audio interface that has some good monitoring options.
> You'll probably want to look at a higher-end USB or Firewire based interface.
> MOTU, EMU and other companies manufacture what you're looking for!

Thanks, I'll definitely check these things out.

> I'm confused about te "multiple headsets" though; if you're talking about
> having multiple pairs of headphones plugged in, each receiving a different
> mix, you'll need to look at an audio interface that has some good
> monitoring options.

Yeah, however in addition to delivering the different mixes, the computer would also have to be able to receive different inputs from each headset as well.

So one contrived example would be:
- one computer in the middle of a room running 3 different games that interact solely through sound/voice
- 3 different people wearing headsets playing those three different games

Possible?
Well; it's certainly possible. Can I ask what your specific application is? Depending on what you're trying to do there may be a less costly way to accomplish it. Is the game something you created yourself?

Assuming the 3 different games can multitask fine with the rest of the system, and share audio drivers correctly, you should be able to select an individual input/output to correspond with something on the audio interface just fine, if the games let you configure them to output/input from something other than the mains.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement