Sign in to follow this  
eektor

Is there a function in the standard library for PI?

(Using C++) I'm trying to clean up my code a bit, and I tried to put PI() in place of 3.14159 (I guess I'm used to working with spreadsheets) and it didn't work. I included cmath already. If there isn't should I define it at the beginning or just leave the number in place in the code?

If you poke around in the MSVC++ 2005 headers you'll see the various maths constants (like M_PI) need _USE_MATH_DEFINES defined before you include cmath. This is done because aparently these constants are not part of the standard (I read that in a comment in one of the headers).

As the anymous poster posted, your're not going to get any deeper with

#define pi 3.141592653589

especially since floating point values cut so much out.

M_PI and its ilk aren't actually part of the C standard, which explains the need for the #defines.

Regardless, its better that headers use as few macros as possible by default (especially for things like pi...and min and max) to minimize collisions and weirdness.

Ok, thanks. Since its not part of the C++ standard, I guess I'll just do a regular define.

I have two more questions. I got a warning for using itoa. The warning told me itoa is not part of the standard anymore (?) and to use _itoa. When I changed it, it told me I need to use _itoa_s (why didn't it say that the first time?). Anyway my question is whether I should continue using _itoa_s because that is the standard. I was using the Dev C++ IDE before and had no problems with using just itoa.

Another question is I got a warning for something I didn't even write. It had to do with code in the include file xlocnum. Has anyone had this warning happen to them?

itoa came first. _itoa is what happens when committees are let loose on things.

There is nothing even vaugely standard about _itoa_s. What happened it that somebody at MS woke up one day and declared that all functions that write to a string buffer, but don't have a parameter specifying the length of the buffer, are evil. So they made a new function. There is some merit to thier position but it's really annoying anyway.

itoa() is not, and was never, a standard function in either C or C++. It's included in many C and C++ compilers as an extension to the standard libraries. Microsoft at some point decided that any non-standard functions included in the standard headers files shipped with MSVC should be replaced with versions with leading underscores, thus itoa() became _itoa().

If you're using C++, you don't want to use anything named similar to itoa() for the purpose of getting a text representation of a number.

If you're just outputting the number to the console, that works implicitly - you have no need to convert to a string first:

int foo = 42;
cout << foo << endl;

If you want to store it as text in an object for some reason, you can do the conversion by making use of an object called a stringstream. This is an object that provides a stream interface (you can "read from"/"write to" it as if it were cin, cout or a file stream), but operates upon a string rather than a file or console. The approach is to create an "empty" stringstream, write the int into it, and then copy out the string buffer.

You can construct a complex string in this manner all at once. However, if you just want a single value to be converted to text, you are better off using a wrapper for this process. The Boost library provides an excellent wrapper called 'lexical_cast'. It also does some error checking for you, and lets you (try to!) convert between any two types by using a string representation (a stringstream buffer) as an intermediate: it reads the input into the buffer, then writes it out to the result.

As for the PI constant, please do not use a #define, even if you are defining it yourself. The language allows you to create const identifiers that have a type and which respect scope - and which aren't awful automated-text-cut-and-paste hacks! All you do is 'const double PI = 3.1415926535;'.

Thanks, I'll look into stringstream. The reason why I used itoa was I am working with SDL and wanted to display a number and needed to convert it into a string. I remember someone told me that itoa would work.

As for using #define, is it ok to use it for game states? Right now I use it to define menu 0, intro 1, etc. Is that alright to use #define?

Quote:
Original post by eektor
As for using #define, is it ok to use it for game states? Right now I use it to define menu 0, intro 1, etc. Is that alright to use #define?
Use an enum instead, i.e.:
enum {
MENU,
INTRO,
GAME,
QUIT,
MAX_STATES
};

Thanks jyk, I'll use an enum instead of the define.

Since I couldn't find any information on stringstream from my book, I want to make sure I got it right.

std::ostringstream strout;
strout << "Computer Score: " << g_comp_score << std::endl;

Then if I were to put
std::cout << strout.str();

It should print out "Computer Score: (whatever number g_comp_score is)", right?

To clear strout, I would have to do:

strout.str("");

Am I correct?