Sign in to follow this  
DangerDave

LOD-ing voxels?

Hello, I have a 3D image that I'm displaying as a lattice of coloured cubes, each cube representing a voxel. There are at least several thousand voxels displayed at any one time. The problem is, when I turn on directional diffuse lighting and zoom away from the image, I get a lot of distortion - like wierd lines appearing all over the image that shift around and sometimes disappear as I rotate the view. At close zoom there is no problem, and with purely ambient lighting there is no problem. This is obviously something to do with the sheer volume of cubes that are being lit individually, but viewed as a single entity... though I have no idea why this would be a problem for anything beyond efficiency (...?). I have considered storing a simplified lattice and calculating the distance of a voxel from the camera to determine which LOD it should display at. The problem is that the image is dynamic, in that there are mobile agents that discover voxels for display as the program runs. So if an agent only discovers 1 voxel I cant really simplify it any further. Also, checking all the voxels each frame to see if a big enough 'clump' of discovered voxels exists, such that it would warrant using LOD, would be terribly slow. Anyone got any suggestions? I realise this is a bit of a niche question, so any information on more general LOD/voxel algorithms would be most appreciated. Thanks,