Sign in to follow this  
BringBackFuturama

I "Confused" My Compiler!?

Wow. :| Well I'm sure this has to do with strings and pointers. I probably tried to print by address or something wrong. Anyway...get this error: "/stddef.h:153: confused by earlier errors, bailing out" My compiler bailed on me! :D Seriously though, this is strange. It told me all the errors are in stddef.h. What could I have possibly done that would've caused that?

Care to list the other errors? If it tells you that there are so many errors, it can't even look for any more, maybe you should worry about those. If the error is in seperate file, there are a couple things that could have happened. Check before you include the file for any missing semicolons or other syntax errors. Also, are you sure you didn't accidentally change anything with the file?

Quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo
Care to list the other errors? If it tells you that there are so many errors, it can't even look for any more, maybe you should worry about those. If the error is in seperate file, there are a couple things that could have happened. Check before you include the file for any missing semicolons or other syntax errors. Also, are you sure you didn't accidentally change anything with the file?

Yeah sure...here's the complete listing:

[SOURCE]C:\Documents and Settings\(MY NAME)\My Documents\Assignment 6>g++ -c PrintData.cpp
In file included from PrintData.cpp:1:
stocks.h:47:7: warning: no newline at end of file
In file included from C:/Documents and Settings/(MY NAME)/My Documents/School/(MY SCHOOL)/11th Grade/Qua
rter 2/Intro to C/MinGW/include/c++/3.2.3/iosfwd:45,
from C:/Documents and Settings/(MY NAME)/My Documents/School/(MY SCHOOL)/11th Grade/Qua
rter 2/Intro to C/MinGW/include/c++/3.2.3/ios:44,
from C:/Documents and Settings/(MY NAME)/My Documents/School/(MY SCHOOL)/11th Grade/Qua
rter 2/Intro to C/MinGW/include/c++/3.2.3/ostream:45,
rter 2/Intro to C/MinGW/include/c++/3.2.3/iostream:45,
from PrintData.cpp:2:
C:/Documents and Settings/(MY NAME)/My Documents/School/(MY SCHOOL)/11th Grade/Quarter 2/Intro to C/MinG
W/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/stringfwd.h: In
function `char* GetMonth(int)':
C:/Documents and Settings/(MY NAME)/My Documents/School/(MY SCHOOL)/11th Grade/Quarter 2/Intro to C/MinG
W/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/stringfwd.h:46: parse
error before `namespace'
W/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/stringfwd.h:54: parse
error before `<' token
W/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/stringfwd.h:58: explicit
specialization in non-namespace scope `char* GetMonth(int)'
W/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/stringfwd.h:58: `
char_traits' is not a template
W/include/c++/3.2.3/bits/stringfwd.h:60: syntax
error before `;' token
W/lib/gcc-lib/mingw32/3.2.3/include/stddef.h:153: confused by earlier errors, bailing out[/SOURCE]

Maybe if you could post your code, it may make a bit more sense. It looks like this is a homework assignment, so we can't really just tell you the answer, but we can definately help point you in the correct direction!

Quote:
Maybe if you could post your code, it may make a bit more sense. It looks like this is a homework assignment, so we can't really just tell you the answer, but we can definately help point you in the correct direction!

Ah don't worry. It was a homework assignment, but I gave up on it because my approach was way off. (it's only like 1% of my grade and it's due tommorow, the last day of class, anyway)

But sure..you can look at the code. Like I said though, I'm pretty sure it's a string problem. My teacher never taught us to use C++ strings, just character arrays.

[SOURCE]#include "stocks.h"
#include <iostream>

void PrintData(struct stock &x)
{
int i = 0;
for(;;)
{
cout << " " // CENTERING
<< x.symbol << ':' << GetYear(i);

for(;;)
{
if( (i-1)%372 = 0) break;
cout << "\n" << GetMonth(i)
<< " "
<< "*-----Open----* *-----High----*"
<< "*----Low ----* *----Close----* "
<< " "
<< "Max Min Max Min"
<< " Max Min Max Min"
<< endl;

}
}
}

int GetYear(int i) { if(i < 372) return 2004; else return 2005;}

char * GetMonth(int i)
{
float j = (i-1)/31;
if(j < 1) return "Jan.";
if(j < 2) return "Feb.";
if(j < 3) return "Mar.";
if(j < 4) return "Apr.";
if(j < 5) return "May.";
if(j < 6) return "Jun.";
if(j < 7) return "Jul.";
if(j < 8) return "Aug.";
if(j < 9) return "Sep.";
if(j < 10)return "Oct.";
if(j < 11)return "Nov.";
if(j < 12)return "Dec.";
if(j < 13)return "Jan.";
if(j < 14)return "Feb.";
if(j < 15)return "Mar.";
if(j < 16)return "Apr.";
if(j < 17)return "May.";
if(j < 18)return "Jun.";
if(j < 19)return "Jul.";
if(j < 20)return "Aug.";
if(j < 21)return "Sep.";
if(j < 22)return "Oct.";
if(j < 23)return "Nov.";
else return "Dec.";
}[/SOURCE]

EDIT: Nevermind.

That's some ugly code. The use of char* for strings in C++ is, as you mentioned, particularly nasty. The most obvious think I see is that you need to qualify objects in the std namespace (std::cout) or insert a "using std::cout" or "using namespace std" near the top someplace. Unless stocks.h has it... but that would be evil as well.

Use std::string unless your teacher/professor has explicitly forbid it (or explicitly required char*... in which case change the return type of GetMonth() to const char* at least).

For a start - put some newlines at the end of your "stocks.h" file.
Unlike Visual C++, gcc has some problems if there is no newline symbols at the end of included header file (had some problems with this issue myself).

EDIT: you don't have any 'using' statements, but you use cout and endl as if they are not in std namespace - either you didn't post all code, or you missed it.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
EDIT: Nevermind.

That's some ugly code. The use of char* for strings in C++ is, as you mentioned, particularly nasty. The most obvious think I see is that you need to qualify objects in the std namespace (std::cout) or insert a "using std::cout" or "using namespace std" near the top someplace. Unless stocks.h has it... but that would be evil as well.

Use std::string unless your teacher/professor has explicitly forbid it (or explicitly required char*... in which case change the return type of GetMonth() to const char* at least).

Yeah...I really had this one messed up, which is why I'm not even gonna attempt to get it done in time for tommorow. I was just wondering why all the errors were happening in this header file, and why I "confused" my compiler to the point that it "bailed" on me.

Quote:
Original post by Paulius Maruska
For a start - put some newlines at the end of your "stocks.h" file.
Unlike Visual C++, gcc has some problems if there is no newline symbols at the end of included header file (had some problems with this issue myself).

Meh..I usually just ignore that little bit. It's just a warning and doesn't really change the compilation. Just a bit more to read while debugging.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
What does your header file look like?

Like this: (YES I KNOW, REALLY HORRIBLE CODING!)

[SOURCE]#ifndef STOCKS_H
#define STOCKS_H

struct stock
{
char symbol[5];
struct Data
{
float open;
float high;
float low;
float close;
} data[744]; //31 Slots Per Month
};

struct date {int day, month, year;};

int SymCheck(char * sym);
/* Pre-Conditions:
* Needs 5-Digit Stock Symbol
* Post-Conditions:
* Returns 1 if symbol doesn't work
* Returns 0 if symbol does work
*/

struct stock & LoadData(char * sym, struct stock &x);
/* Pre-Conditions:
* Needs 4-Digit Stock Symbol
* Needs Reference to stock struct
* Post-Conditions:
* Returns reference to created struct
*/

int DateConv(struct date & d);
/* Pre-Conditions:
* Date Struct to convert
* Post-Conditions:
* Returns pos. in array for stock data
*/

void PrintData(struct stock &);
char * GetMonth(int i)

#endif[/SOURCE]

Quote:
Original post by BringBackFuturama
Quote:
you are missing a semicolon on this line:

char * GetMonth(int i)

Heh..guess so. Don't know why that'd give me those errors though.

It thinks that it is the start of the function, rather than a prototype. The next lines it found were inside of some header file. You cannot create a namespace inside of a function, so it threw some errors.

Bingo.

To the OP: the reason the errors appear to original in some headers you don't yourself include (such as cstddef) is because your header (which was missing the semicolon) was included before you include <iostream>. Since #include is just a textual substitution, and iostream probably includes some files itself (such as cstddef, eventually) the first errors the compiler sees appear to be in files that are not yours. If you had switched the include order, you might have had a an easier time tracking the mistake down.

Is this a C course or a C++ course, by the way? Because your mixing styles from both languages... which is generally bad, because they are very different languages dispite the apparent level of syntactic similarity.

Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
Bingo.

To the OP: the reason the errors appear to original in some headers you don't yourself include (such as cstddef) is because your header (which was missing the semicolon) was included before you include <iostream>. Since #include is just a textual substitution, and iostream probably includes some files itself (such as cstddef, eventually) the first errors the compiler sees appear to be in files that are not yours. If you had switched the include order, you might have had a an easier time tracking the mistake down.

Is this a C course or a C++ course, by the way? Because your mixing styles from both languages... which is generally bad, because they are very different languages dispite the apparent level of syntactic similarity.

Ya..I get that now. Thanks...I'll keep that in mind in the future.

And my class is C++, but it's from a teacher who really likes C, so he tries to teach with a lot of C using C++. I'm gonna have to learn strings on my own.

Quote:
And my class is C++, but it's from a teacher who really likes C, so he tries to teach with a lot of C using C++. I'm gonna have to learn strings on my own.

Get out ASAP (if it is indeed possible). Proper, modern C++ is a different language.

Anyway, I include library headers first and then my own headers; then if something like this happens, the errors at least get reported against my own code, even if it's the "wrong" file.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
Quote:

Get out ASAP (if it is indeed possible). Proper, modern C++ is a different language.

Anyway, I include library headers first and then my own headers; then if something like this happens, the errors at least get reported against my own code, even if it's the "wrong" file.

hell yah it is. I learned c before I learned c++ and everything you learn from c you pretty much had to throw out the window. the only thing you really carry over is datatypes. most of the algorithms are don't completely differently because of use of containers and overloaded operators, not to mention classes.

Quote:

Tomorrow is his last day of class. Is that ASAP enough? :)

Though I agree. One of the most dangerous things about C++ is that most C code will compile with it, giving it the illusion of being just "an addon". A person should approach writing a C++ program very differently then they would approach a C program, or you're missing much of the improvement that C++ provides.