Sign in to follow this  
Sivak

Making an editor with VB

Hello. Basically, my pal and I are making up a game. I'm doing the graphical/audio side and he's doing the programming. So far, things are going great. I was actually hoping to do up an editor to simplify the level making process. Basically, what it would need to do is display the level tiles graphically. A level consists of 13X13 tiles. After the user is satisified, the level can be saved and exported to an XML file. The file would read like so:
<level>
<mapdata> 
CH, FL, WT, HT, HT, HT, WT, WT, WT, WT, WT, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, WT, WT, WT, WT, WT, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, WT, RK, FL, WT, WT, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, WT, TR, FL, FL, FL, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, WT, TR, FL, TR, TR, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, WT, TR, FL, TR, TR, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, FL, FL, FL, RK, RK, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, TR, FL, FL, RK, RK, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, TR, TR, EF, FL, FL, 
RK, FL, WT, FL, WT, FL, TR, TR, TR, TR, HT, 
RK, FL, FL, FL, WT, FL, FL, FL, FL, FL,ARL, 
</mapdata>
</level>
It's only 11X11 here as the exterior consists of walls, but it's nice to see the walls in the level. So far we have to type up the levels like this, which is tedious. I just want to know if this could be done easily. I'd also like to have tabs on the right side of the editor for floor terrain, monsters, and other map options. Where to go?

Quote:
Original post by Sivak
I just want to know if this could be done easily.

Well, anything is easy if you know what to do ;) That being said, it's not too hard to build an XML processor. You can probably borrow some of the code that you already have built that will read the file ( you do have that, right? ). So you would put some graphical controls on a form that would allow the user to build their level, and your XML engine would generate the file. I've done something similar to build web menus. Like anything, the more functionality you provide, the more complex it becomes so make sure you have a good design before you start building.