• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
eelke_folmer

Component based development

This topic is 4425 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Allright I'm interested how many of you game developers are using COTS (Commercial/Off-the-shelf) components for your game development? I'm interested whether people start building a game from scratch or whether first suitable COTS are being evaluated to reduce development costs. I myself am programming a simple puzzle game using the popcap framework. I would be interested in what genre of game you are developing and which components are being used. I'm assuming a lot of games are probably based on low level libraries like OpenGL / SDL / DirectX (see picture). If you divide your game in layers I'm interested in COTS being used above the system software layer (e.g. directX/ openGL) is in the OS not in your game.) An example COTS could be the unreal engine or the havok physics engine which are built on top of openGL/directX.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
I would imagine most amateur developers create as much code themselves due to cost restrictions on commercial modules. Most people embark on game development because they think it'll be a cool thing to do (without thinking through everything involved) and they want a slice of the big pie.

Commercial developers however do use commercial modules for physics, 3d techniques, visual effects etc. Just look at the logos plastered over a commercial game and you'll see this.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!