Sign in to follow this  
Ergawy

We want to start a game devlopment team

I and 3 of my friends want to start game programming as a team but we don't know how to devide the work among the four of us we already chose DirectX but we didn't learn it yet and we are good in C++. So it will be kindness of you to guide us and tell us how to start and what types of games to start with and what is the expected time periode to finish a complete simple game. I already read the beginners section and the FAQs they were very helpful but I think that I couldn't find anything that gives us the guidelines to start a team. If the info I wrote are not sufficient for anyone who likes to help plz tell me what else you want to know. note: we are all programmers so I think that we won't make new ideas we just want to efficiently learn the technical stuff and be productive in this aspect. This is what I think, if experts here see anything else I'll be so glad to know your point of view.

I wouldn't worry too much about time just yet; different people - and different teams - will take different amounts of time for everything. Time also depends a lot on how much you work on the project each day/week/month, which will again be different for everyone. So it's really not easy to give meaningful time estimates.

Some common beginning projects are things like Pong or Tetris clones, but those may be difficult to divide up on a team of four. I would suggest something a little bit larger, like a platformer (think Mario clone). That should give enough different areas to divide up among yourselves. However, be careful not to get too ambitious, especially if you've never worked together on a project before.

You mentioned that all of you have programming experience; what sort of projects have you done? Anything with each other? That will affect the kinds of things that would be reasonable for you to tackle.

The first thing to do is agree on a game project. Then, decide what features you want in the game. Once you have that, analyze the features and determine what it will take to implement each feature in code. Try to group things together (graphics, sounds, input controls, and so on) and then divide up each area among yourselves. See if you can identify any areas that should be done first, or things that one person will have to finish before someone else can do their part.

Most importantly, be willing to give it two or three attempts; don't expect the first project to go perfectly. Be sure to keep a journal or notes of some kind on the decisions you make as a team, and anything/everything that goes wrong. Learning from your mistakes is invaluable experience.

Best of luck!