Windows Vista beta 2 is publicly available

Started by
25 comments, last by Demirug 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
They aren't, currently you have to use the reference rasterizer.

I take it you need a pc with specs way above the minimum/recommended requirements to get semi-decent FPS then?

If you want to make use of the newer Vista-specific features you'll need the corresponding SDK...

And is this SDK available somewhere? A quick Google didn't come up with anything useful.

Also with regards to installation, does Vista make it possible to install to an external HDD? Afaik this never worked in XP but would be sweet if it works in Vista since I have a few lying around.
Advertisement
I was just gonna bring this up:
What do you recommend for developing? I've downloaded the 32bit version, so I'm guessing I should be able to use VS2003 on it, right? With D3D10?
I'm planning on getting the 64bit version (won't download, grrrrr). I suppose I could still create 32 bit apps with VS2003, but what about 64bit apps?
VS2005 Express doesn't do 64bit IIRC, so is there any way around using 2005 STD/PRO?

Anyhow, gonna try the 32bit version later tonight... Can't wait.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Original post by Demirug
Quote:Porting is more complicated as the D3D8 to D3D9 transition. There are some signification changes this time. If your code still uses fixed functions or shader that written in assembler you should first update anything to HLSL based shaders.

Anyway don’t go ahead and port anything to D3D10 as long as you don’t understand the consequences. After the port your code will only run with Windows Vista and anybody who want’s to run it will need a new graphics card that support D3D10.

Yes, that makes sense. I was talking more about porting Win32 applications in general though (not neccesarily anything to do with DX).

Keep in mind this is software for testing.

"Time-limited software
Windows Vista Beta 2 (and RC1) is time-limited, pre-release software that will expire on June 1, 2007."
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
They aren't, currently you have to use the reference rasterizer.

I take it you need a pc with specs way above the minimum/recommended requirements to get semi-decent FPS then?

Yeah, a little bit. Blue Gene might get 60fps with the ref rasterizer on a moderately complex scene.
Quote:Original post by -Tony-
Is it possible to dual-boot with WinXP without any hacks, because the download page says a clean install is the only way?

I just did it last night / this morning, and didn't have many problems. Like Jack, I haven't been able to get any of the recent CTPs (ie last 8 months) to install, so I was quite surprised when this one worked.

I keep having this weird lockup problem where the entire OS comes to a halt. Sometimes, it recovers after 5 minutes or more, other times I just give up and reboot. Perhaps it is some multi-core issue.

The dual-monitor stuff works, in that I can get a display on my second screen. However, it is mis-aligned, so it is hard to use. Other than that, everything is sweet!

Bummer that the DXSDK download is still non-functional.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Hello there!

I installed the Vista Beta 2 in a VMWare setup and it worked fine; nevertheless the DX10 samples of the latest DirectX SDK are not runnig. There is no problem with the DX9 samples, the ref rasterizer can be used - but for some reason, it is not possible to init Direct3D 10. Has anyone else tried to install it on a VM and got DX10 samples running?
The D3D10 Refrast works only if your system can create a D3D9 hardware device. The default VMWare configuration does not support the creation of a D3D9 hardware support. Maybe you will have some luck with the experimental D3D9 support from VMWare. But I have never try it.
Thank you for your answer. :) As far as I know, the hardware support works only with the latest VMWare version... seems like it is time for an update.
Is it possible to Install Vista without a DVD Reader. Can I not run the setup from my computer (I am going to install it on a seperate partition)

[Edited by - brwarner on June 14, 2006 5:03:09 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement