Windows Vista beta 2 is publicly available

Started by
25 comments, last by Demirug 17 years, 10 months ago
Just a simple service announcement: Windows Vista Beta 2 is available to download as well as order on DVD. I'm making this a sticky thread in DX land as it means that you can now play with with the greatness of Direct3D 10 [smile] I open up this thread as a general discussion on Direct3D 10 Programming - I would very much like to see/hear your opinion(s). Those that have had the chance to play with the public (or MSDN, or TechBeta) build(s)... Windows Vista isn't likely to RTM for another 5-6 months, so this is your chance to get ahead of the game. At the time of writing, I've been using D3D10 for over a year and I have no hesitation in saying its a big step forward. You definitely want to check it out! I know that several DX MVP's (myself and ET3D, probably more) as well as others (e.g. Ralf, aka Demirug, and others) have an advantage, so post your questions, thoughts and comments... Cheers, Jack [Edited by - jollyjeffers on June 9, 2006 8:42:22 AM]

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
Thanks!

Have you had any software/hardware (not necessarily development software) compatibility issues? Are you using it on your main PC?
---------------------My specs (because I always forget to post them)Intel P4 2.4 GHz640 MB system memoryRadeon 9700 PROWindows XPDirectX 9DirectX 8.1 SDK
I thought D3D10 cards weren't available yet?
Do existing applications port over pretty easily? Is there still a requirement for Platform SDK and the likes (and if there is, is that even available yet?) to develop windows apps?
Is it possible to dual-boot with WinXP without any hacks, because the download page says a clean install is the only way?
Quote:Have you had any software/hardware (not necessarily development software) compatibility issues? Are you using it on your main PC?
The last 5 builds don't even install on my machine, but the bug I filed seems to suggest it'll work with the next build. But I think I've just been unlucky [headshake]

Quote:I thought D3D10 cards weren't available yet?
They aren't, currently you have to use the reference rasterizer.

Quote:Do existing applications port over pretty easily? Is there still a requirement for Platform SDK and the likes (and if there is, is that even available yet?) to develop windows apps?
Vista is backwards compatable, I'm not aware of any major problems here. If you want to make use of the newer Vista-specific features you'll need the corresponding SDK...

Quote:Is it possible to dual-boot with WinXP without any hacks, because the download page says a clean install is the only way?
There are no problems with dual-booting it. I've been doing (or trying!) that with all the builds so far. A "clean install" is where you don't upgrade from Vista/XP - not that your entire computer's HDD is clean [smile]

hth
Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by -Tony-
Is it possible to dual-boot with WinXP without any hacks, because the download page says a clean install is the only way?

You can create a partition and install Vista there. Whenever you boot your computer, a boot loader will prompt giving you the option to load WinXP or Vista.
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Quote:Is it possible to dual-boot with WinXP without any hacks, because the download page says a clean install is the only way?
There are no problems with dual-booting it. I've been doing (or trying!) that with all the builds so far. A "clean install" is where you don't upgrade from Vista/XP - not that your entire computer's HDD is clean [smile]

hth
Jack

Oh, ok. thanks [grin]
Quick note..

If you want to discuss the beta in general, there is a thread in the lounge about it.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Do existing applications port over pretty easily? Is there still a requirement for Platform SDK and the likes (and if there is, is that even available yet?) to develop windows apps?

Porting is more complicated as the D3D8 to D3D9 transition. There are some signification changes this time. If your code still uses fixed functions or shader that written in assembler you should first update anything to HLSL based shaders.

Anyway don’t go ahead and port anything to D3D10 as long as you don’t understand the consequences. After the port your code will only run with Windows Vista and anybody who want’s to run it will need a new graphics card that support D3D10.

The last DirectX SDK (April) works fine with Visual Studio 2005 but I have heard that in the case you use the express edition you will need the current platform SDK, too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement