Attention game developers, Sell your games through our download site.

Started by
13 comments, last by rian carnarvon 17 years, 10 months ago
Game developers, after designing, programming, and then making your game, after all that hard work put into making a really good game that you hope everyone will play. What becomes your biggest problem? From my perspective, I believe that problem is getting your game marketed and sold. Sure you can stick up a website and submit your site to gaming directories and hope that someone will take a glimpse at it, but that doesn’t guarantee a sale; it doesn’t assure you that it will become popular. But I have a solution for you hard working developers that can solve your problem. Right now a few of my friends and I, are making a website where game developers can sell (or give away for free) their games through a “digital download” service. As far as I know there is only one site like this and they don’t support developers such as yourselves, instead they deal with the big time companies. The best part of this is that you don’t have to pay for anything unless your product sells. No advertising costs, no setup fees, just sign up send us your game we’ll set it all up and then you can watch your product get sold. Like anything else there are catches, but ours is not that bad. We do take a percentage of the profit made on each sell. The percentage however is VERY low. The percentage will range from 10 – 40 % (everyone has the same rate on each game) and will change accordingly to how much it takes to maintain the site with small profit but it will never pass 40%. That means you will make 90 – 60 % on each sell which is a lot more than what you would make if you had to pay for all the other costs yourself (Sites that sell other products like this charge around 50 – 60 % on each product). My goal when I came up with this idea was to get independent games noticed by the public and I didn’t want to ruin that by charging high fee’s to do it. Here are some of the expected features we will include: (more may be on the way) • Pay nothing to sign up. • Pay nothing on advertisement. • Low percentage commission on each sell (10 – 40 % that means u make 90 – 60 % of the price of your product). • Have as many games as you want on the site. • You set the price for each product. • Can protect your game from pirating by creating a list of serials that are issued after each purchase. • Link your site to your product to give a further description. • Able to put up screen shots of your game. • Can include a demo for customers to try out • All types of games allowed (this includes things like flash games, and games using game engines) as long as they are playable as an .exe or something else easy for users to launch. (basically they should be able to install and play it as if they would any other game) • And more to come The process to set up your product on our site is quite simple and can be done in a few steps 1. Sign up with the site. 2. Email us with the information for your product (includes a name, description, images, links). 3. Send your game to us (will first have to be a link to a place where we can download it, but will eventually change to the option to send a CD / DVD in) 4. We add the product to the site, and you can make any changes to it from there on. Right now we are at the stage of collecting game developers who would like to sign up with us. So if you are interested in joining please email me at snrps2@aim.com (yes I know its free email but I don’t want pay extra for a web host when I’m not using it yet) with the subject as “Signup with Download Mill”. Or leave one on here. Just include your email address, and how many / what games you want sell through us (that you have or will have within the next 3 – 4 months), give a website and a small description of it, how much you plan to sell it for. This isn’t what is getting listed on the site, its just stuff to give me an idea of what you’re going to sell. Our goal is to get at start around 75 games to start off and then more from there on, so if you know anyone who might be interested tell them too. [Edited by - machra on June 9, 2006 4:41:04 AM]
Advertisement
I'm certainly interested, although I dont know if my game will be worthy of sale.

My Email: medevilenemy@gmail.com

Games: "Project Phoenix", a space shooter (in Alpha now, should be finished soon)

Website: medevilenemy.f2o.org -- my website, including all my dev stuff

Estimated Selling Price: $5 (still working on that one)

There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
Call me daft but where is the link?
Vetrox, I dont understand your comment. (although I will note that those graphics are a thousand times better than my own).
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
if your askin me about the link, there is none because i havent set the site up yet due to the costs of it all to set up. basically i want to know people are interested before i do anything further because it is a lot of money. But im pretty sure that people will be interested in this none the less.

Also medevilenemy, no game is unworthy. my intention of this site is to encourage people like yourself to make games and then sell them to make profit on all your hard work.

vetroXL if you are interested in signing up with the site leave send an email to the address in my last message or just leave your information like medevil and i will contact you and get you all set up.

And remember the best part of this all is that it is 100% free for you guys to signup and join the site. the only time you pay is if your product sells and that is still cheap.

I am thinking of doing an insentive to get game dev's to join which is for the first 6 months all games are permanetely 10% commission. an example of what this means is, take medevilenemies game for example.. when his game sells he makes $4.50 on each sell and i will make .50 cents. The money i make will be put back into the site by paying for the server and then for advertisement to get your games noticed even more.

I'll be checking the forums often but you can always reach me at snrps2@aim.com
I think that there is no link yet, as the OP mentions that isn't yet paying for a domain, until s/he needs it.

Sounds like a good idea, I wish you good business!! :D

EDIT: you beat me at the answering speed :P
Quote:Original post by medevilenemy
Vetrox, I dont understand your comment. (although I will note that those graphics are a thousand times better than my own).

Hey medevilenemy, do you mean the comment on my sig? You'll just have to wait until the game is released to find out... [wink]

The name of the game is "Genesis : Origins". That should give you a clew [smile]

machra,

I am interested, however I don't expect my game to be finished and released until the end of the year...
http://www.garagegames.com

AFAIK that site already does what you are proposing your site will do. At least that's what i thought, it seems very geared towards torque, but i don't know if torque is a requirement for selling in their store. either way it's definitely competition.

-me
Oh, sorry VetroXL... I didnt realize that was your sig. It can sometimes be so hard to tell here.

also, the reason why garagegames is so geared towards torque is that they are the ones who make it.
[[UPDATE]] I have just uploaded a new version of my game to my website medevilenemy.f2o.org. This revision includes a new level and a new enemy ship.
Enjoy :-)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement