Sign in to follow this  

Texture size question

This topic is 4210 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

for my sprite system i load an 1024 *512 texture at once.And then i create small quad's that are using 64*64 of this big texture(by texture coordinates u.v) But suddenly :) i thought that every card can't support 1024* 1024 texture size :) .Is this true? if so how old are they ..i am trying to make a casual game.so i want to support as much hardware as possible...What should i do ? load 1024*1024 image on a surface then create a texture from this surface?.also in my scrolling animation i am using a texture 1024*1024 and then divide this to 4 512*512 texture.and making my scroolling animation.What should i do ? because 512*512 may be not avaible on some devices..

I don't have the DirectX SDK on this machine, but there's a spreadsheet of graphics card capabilities with it, which includes maximum texture sizes. Pretty much all cards support at least 1024x1024, even my nVidia TNT2 supported 1024x1024 I believe. And an old voodoo 2 I had (Diamond Monster 3D II) supported 512x512.

In my current project, I do something similar for managing tiles. I create bitmap images that are 256x256 (Lowest possible maximum for a card), and at runtime I query the maximum texture size, and build a larger texture sheet from that. For example, I may create a 2048x2048 texture, which would let me store 64 of those 256x256 images on it. I create as many sheets as I need, and swap them as needed by the renderer.

This topic is 4210 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.