What can cause the problem?

Started by
8 comments, last by andyborowicz 17 years, 10 months ago
Can someone more advanced than I tell why this is happening? I wrote an application in C++ (VC6), as a Project of Win32App. I used some WinAPI. I compiled it and made an executable. It works on my machine just fine. But when I copy it (the .exe) to another computer and try to execute it, there is a message that 'It's not a proper Win-32 application' or sth. How is it possible and what to do to make a program work on every computer?
Advertisement

Perhaps this is far-fetched, but how did you actually copy the file to another computer ?
Took the .exe from the Debug dir, burned it to a CD, went 50 km away, and copied it frm the CD to HDD. Then executed... Isn't it how we do it? :)

P.S.: On both machines the system is the same (WinXP).
debug builds only run on PCs with the development environment installed.
Does that mean that if I want to have a movable app, I have to make a 'release' version?
Yes. You still may need some dependent dlls depending on how you linked to the runtime libraries.
Get a dependency checker program to also see what dll dependencies the exe has also. This will save you a lot of hassles.

theTroll
also note files copied from cd to harddisk are read-only..

visit my website at www.kalmiya.com
Quote:Original post by andyborowicz
'It's not a proper Win-32 application' or sth.

When something like this happens, you should really make a note of the exact error message. It'll make diagnosing the problem much easier.
Thank you guys for help! Guess I'll look closer to this problem right away!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement