DirectX (February 2006)

Started by
5 comments, last by Mythar 17 years, 10 months ago
Any know what versions of D3DX9_??.dll are surported in the lasted DX end user download ? EDIT : is the D3DX9_25.dll installed when you install the lasted DirectX (February 2006) or would the end user have to install it ? [Edited by - Mythar on June 9, 2006 7:57:10 AM]
Advertisement
Here is a list of the DLL versions.

I belive that installing one runtime will install the D3DX DLLs for all previous versions, but I'm not entirely sure. If you have a spare PC (Or a friend does), you could try it and find out.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not at all sure. Now I think about it, one runtime will probably only install DLLs for that version; that's why you should package the DX redistributable package with your applications.
Anyone know for sure ?

Until now, I have been making my own "D3DX" functions so that this problem would not come up.

But now that Im looking into Shaders, its giveing me a headace to use Shaders without D3DX.

Unless someone can come up with the code for LPD3DXCONSTANTTABLE, I guess, Im forced to use "D3DX" ...

Its just not right that MS forces end users to install "extras" on top of "The end user DirectX", and then wont allow us to, simply re-dist. the "D3DX9_??.dll" file itself.

Yes, I know the end users can do a MS install of what ever "D3DX9_??.dll" you need to use for your game to work, but thats still forcing "extra" work on the end user.
There are reasons behind it, mainly if a security hole is found in D3DX, it can be patched with windows update if it's linked as a DLL. And you need several DLL versions to support several D3DX versions.
So long as your distribute the DX runtime with your application (Or let the users know they'll need the D3DX DLL if you can't package the runtime with it), you'll be fine.
Still, it would be nice to know if the "lasted end user runtime DirectX" comes with all the "D3DX9_??.dll"s ? :)
If you install the latest DirectX runtime from Microsoft (either full install, or web download), then you get all D3DX_?? DLLs.

If you create your own installer (using the DXSETUP from the SDK) then you can trim out all the pieces you don't want, and only include the D3DX version that you're actually using; the compressed size of that is approximately 1.5-2.0 MB in size.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Thx :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement