OpenGL Light

Started by
4 comments, last by CRACK123 17 years, 10 months ago
What light methods are there in openGL? What do you guys recommend? Shall I use OpenGL light or extension per pixel / per vertex light? I have absolutly no idea / experience about light so maybe one shuold tell me what would be better (regarding performance)? What are you guys using to light your scenes? Thanks a lot!
Advertisement
I use GLSL to do PPL. But it all depends on what your need/wants are. If you have a high polygon count model you may get by with doing per vertex lighting... If you have large open areas where your polygons are far apart you are going to want use PPL. Performance wise PPL is slower than Per Vertex lighting. You may want to state what your intentions are to do with the lighting.
I disagree. I think you can get fine results with low poly counts and vertex lighting, it just takes longer to compute the normals so they're smoothed across the surface -

Low poly count, smooth per-vertex lighting. And for a beginner, its best to stick with per-vertex for a while, simply because it's (in most cases) faster and easier to use.
Most games you will play use pre-computewd lightmaps for lighting the static objects as you see it - it's like per-pixel lighitng (with radiosity and other things you might fancy) without the performance lag. For this to work you will need to also have a static light (if you hadn't guessed that already). Another slight disadvantage is that it eats up a texture stage.

For dynamic objects use pervertex or perpixel dynamic lighting (maybe with LOD considerations).
My current project is a vertical shoot em up, so i wont have a wide area to render.
Guess, PPL is the way to do it then.
Is GLSL PPL a "standard"? Can I recommend, that (nearly) every user, has a GLSL capable card?
GLSL maybe considered a standard to do PS and VS coding for next gen games using OpenGL but you cannot consider that every user has a GLSL card and every driver supporting GLSL as of yet.
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement