Sign in to follow this  

SDL and Allegro

This topic is 4203 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I only have experience with allegro but from what I have read SDL is very similiar and just as good. Which ever one you pick will not make much different. It's the person programming that will utimatly make the difference.

I don't know that easier is the right word here, they excel in different areas. Which is easier and better really depends on what you want to do with it. Neither library is all that hard to setup, and both offer prebuilt binaries for popular compilers.

Here is a tutorial on using SDL

The Allegro manual and an tutorial.

Allegro is very simple to use, and I used it first, but SDL is much more powerful. So, I guess, Allegro = Easier, Less Control. SDL = Harder (more DirectX/OpenGL like), more control and add on libraries.

Quote:
Original post by samuraicrow
Have you looked at this thread yet? It has a lot of information in it about both libraries.

Yeah, I'm close to closing these threads on sight; it's starting to turn into the old OpenGL vs. DirectX. [smile] If you're just picking up a library to cut your teeth on game production, flip a coin. They're more or less equal for your purposes.

I hear that SDL is 'better' in that its more flexible and powerful, but I can't actually confirm that. As far as my luck in finding articles on each one, SDL has tons of documentation and tutorials on the web, but I could only find a handeful for allegro. If you plan on learning from the web, I'd suggest SDL.

Quote:
Original post by bschneid
As far as my luck in finding articles on each one, SDL has tons of documentation and tutorials on the web, but I could only find a handeful for allegro. If you plan on learning from the web, I'd suggest SDL.

Hmm, my experience has been the opposite. Allegro even had its own dedicated tutorial web magazine (Pixelate) for a while there.

This topic is 4203 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.