Sign in to follow this  

Tool creation using C++ or C#?

This topic is 4206 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am thinking of creating a tool for building my 2D game and for knowledge's sake, not something fancy, just some basic stuff. My language is C++ but MFC sucks and I am have heard that C# is good for RAD. What about Borland C++ Builder 2006? It's new and I haven't heard anything about it. Is it similar to version 6? I have had a glimpse of that and I can say that C# seems to me faster and simplier. What do u think? Thanks in advance.

C# is pretty easy to pick up and much much less painful than MFC.
It's also very easy to integrate C++ code into C# applications if you need to.

I also vote for C#, it's an excellent language and it's even better with Visual Studio 2005. VS 2005 Express is free, and I highly recommend it since it's got a lot of nifty features as well as a superb debugger.

- Cerasti

I'd have to say C# as well. I started teaching myself about 3 1/2-4 months ago. I find it SSOOOO much easier to develop pretty much any kind of application. I used MFC for a while, in VC++ 6, before I got a copy of VS 2005. I got pretty into it. But since I've switched to C#, MFC is N-A-S-T-Y. LoL.

And although I haven't really developed some sort of game editing tool with it, I have created a couple of applications that use databases and a lot more. It's so much easier than MFC -- by far! =D

funny how suddenly everybody seems to agree with eachother on a language1 vs language2 question hehe ;)
yeah c# is very good for tool building, i managed to make a simply csg level editor in a couple of weeks in c#.. in c++ it would've probably cost months

C# does (correct me if I'm wrong) any good thing MFC can do, better. And if you need low level stuff, it's easy as pie to go down to C++ code. If you have the option of running on .Net ie. u run windows, C# is the best bet here.

You can make tools really quickly in C++ if you use the correct tools ;). You still need to code them, which is a good thing if your doing something serious. I use wxWidgets for my editor: http://wxwidgets.org/

This topic is 4206 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.