Tool creation using C++ or C#?

Started by
10 comments, last by _swx_ 17 years, 10 months ago
I am thinking of creating a tool for building my 2D game and for knowledge's sake, not something fancy, just some basic stuff. My language is C++ but MFC sucks and I am have heard that C# is good for RAD. What about Borland C++ Builder 2006? It's new and I haven't heard anything about it. Is it similar to version 6? I have had a glimpse of that and I can say that C# seems to me faster and simplier. What do u think? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I recently made a 2D RAD level editor (nothing fancy) in < 1 day using C#. I vote for C#.
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code
Baring some exceptional situation, I think using C# is a far less aggravating option.
Even when I knew about |--| that much C#, I found it much easier to build tools in C# than in C++ with any library, framework or API. C# wins hands-down.
C# is pretty easy to pick up and much much less painful than MFC.
It's also very easy to integrate C++ code into C# applications if you need to.
Pretty much what I expected as answers. Thanks a lot guys!!!
I also vote for C#, it's an excellent language and it's even better with Visual Studio 2005. VS 2005 Express is free, and I highly recommend it since it's got a lot of nifty features as well as a superb debugger.

- Cerasti
While we're on the subject, you might consider purchasing (or checking out from your local library) a copy of this.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
I'd have to say C# as well. I started teaching myself about 3 1/2-4 months ago. I find it SSOOOO much easier to develop pretty much any kind of application. I used MFC for a while, in VC++ 6, before I got a copy of VS 2005. I got pretty into it. But since I've switched to C#, MFC is N-A-S-T-Y. LoL.

And although I haven't really developed some sort of game editing tool with it, I have created a couple of applications that use databases and a lot more. It's so much easier than MFC -- by far! =D
:==-_ Why don't the voices just leave me alone?! _-==:
funny how suddenly everybody seems to agree with eachother on a language1 vs language2 question hehe ;)
yeah c# is very good for tool building, i managed to make a simply csg level editor in a couple of weeks in c#.. in c++ it would've probably cost months

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement