Sign in to follow this  

Industry Hotspots

This topic is 4206 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Programming aside... what are your favorite "game industry" cities and why? I haven't been fortunate enough to live or visit the hotspots like Los Angeles or Washington, but I'm not imagining good things... and actually a bit scared. How long does it take you to get to work? So far Brisbane, Australia sounds really nice ;)

Montreal is the place to be ;) We have EA, Ubi, A2M, etc... lots of Universities, lots of graphics schools, etc... Being bilingual is a plus here, but people only speaking English usually end up doing well anyway.

Takes me around 10 mins to get to work.

I can't talk about cities, but you should notice that while you are reading this post you are actually using a device which is in itself quite hotspot for any industrial information processor.

Well, it might be a question of taste, but I'd prefer someone with a comp science degree to someone with a "game programming" degree :)

Manhattan actually has quite a few small studios that work on things like cell phone and flash games. Very little console game development that I know of, however.

I love where I live. Just north of San Diego and just south of LA, in Orange County. It's not so city like and there are still quite a few game companies around. More over, if I need to go to any conventions its not a long drive into LA.

It's my little paradise.

- Dave

Montreal also has companies like Discreet Logic and SoftImage. Not game-programming per se, but a very closely-related cousin :). Software used to create blockbuster movie special effects is pretty sweet!

Quote:
Original post by xEricx
Montreal is the place to be ;) We have EA, Ubi, A2M, etc... lots of Universities, lots of graphics schools, etc...

I didn't realize Montreal had all that. I am finishing up my CS degree in Regina, SK in a year, but after that I've been debating on where to go. What specific companies does Vancover have to offer. I've heard everyone say it's one of the bigger game industry places in Canada, but I haven't heard what specific things it has to offer.

I would like to hear about some more places and what specifically they have to offer. Thanks.

Boston's nice :-) We've got a number of local game studios, an active IGDA chapter, and tons of local universities. Downsides include the driving, which is awful, and the price of real estate, which is _really_ awful. On the bright side, mass transit is good around here, and there's always tons of people looking to rent out a room or share an apartment, so finding a place near where you work is usually possible.

It takes me 30 minutes each way to work, jogging.

Here in Orlando we have EA-Tiburon, but it is the world's simulation mecca. If you want to make "video games" for fighter pilots, etc., this is the place to be. A start in simulation is also an excellent way to get into the game industry.

Quote:
Original post by xEricx
Well, it might be a question of taste, but I'd prefer someone with a comp science degree to someone with a "game programming" degree :)

But anyway you need a computer science degree or equivalent (software engineering?) to be accepted to the Ubisoft Campus in Game Development.

Quote:
Original post by Muse
Boston's nice :-) We've got a number of local game studios, an active IGDA chapter, and tons of local universities. Downsides include the driving, which is awful, and the price of real estate, which is _really_ awful. On the bright side, mass transit is good around here, and there's always tons of people looking to rent out a room or share an apartment, so finding a place near where you work is usually possible.

I am thinking about moving out that direction because of all the companies in that area. What does rent run around there $900 or more for a 2 bedroom.

Quote:
Original post by jff_f
Quote:
Original post by xEricx

But anyway you need a computer science degree or equivalent (software engineering?) to be accepted to the Ubisoft Campus in Game Development.

Yeah I know, but from what I've seen from it, I'm not sure its really worth it...

I was more talking about schools like Digipen

Quote:
Original post by adam23
I am thinking about moving out that direction because of all the companies in that area. What does rent run around there $900 or more for a 2 bedroom.

It varies, but probably closer to 1300 for a 2 bedroom in a reasonably decent part of town. For contrast, my rent (for a room in a nice house near the southern city limits) is $500.

Quote:
Original post by Muse

Aw c'mon, the driving isn't that bad... at least it keeps you focused on the road :-)

I did try for Computer Science but:

I need a good mark in grade 12math, if i upgrade i have to start at grade 10math (since im old)

I noticed there are many courses in comp science that dont interest me, lots of technical things like how computer works, I'd also have to learn Java, and it would take 5 years to finish CS.

Quote:

Quote:
Original post by jff_f

Quote:
Original post by xEricx

Yeah I know, but from what I've seen from it, I'm not sure its really worth it...

I was more talking about schools like Digipen

This topic is 4206 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.