Smoothing a stiff learning curve/status complexity

Started by
10 comments, last by NIm 17 years, 10 months ago
How far along are you in development?

I'm asking because, if I were in your situation, I'd do my best to pump out a quick and dirty proof-of-concept demo that would utilize as many of the gameplay complexities as possible. It wouldn't even need working AI, just enough functionality for you to see how all of these pages of statistics will actually affect gameplay. Without knowing every last detail of your design it's hard to give specific advice, so having something you can actually play around with might highlight areas where you really are just adding complexity for complexity's sake and other areas where it has a meaningful impact on gameplay.

That said, my solution would be a combination of B and C. If you really do have pages of statistics then it's probably a good idea to trim the fat any way you can, because even extremely dedicated players are likely to suffer from severe apathy when confronted with such a huge volume of numbers and outright ignore a good portion of their options.

Descriptive text should be used to replace statistics wherever possible as well, especially for an RPG. If most weapons have an "average" reliability, then there's no reason to display a 5% jam chance (or whatever) on every weapon's statistics page; that information is going to be ignored anyway and most players would probably assume that most weapons fall into the average. Likewise, there's no reason to list the actual numbers for the few weapons that are more or less reliable, just make a note of their unusually high (or low) reliability in the descriptive text. This kind of information has always struck me as a nice compromise, since "flavor" text doesn't produce the same kind of information overload that pages of statistics tends to.

Finally, don't forget the importance of good interface design. If you can convey information with a picture of a gun and informative text or stats displayed when mousing over different components then that's an infinitely superior method to scrolling through pages of numbers. The more information you can display graphically the less complex and intimidating your game is going to seem.
Advertisement
It seems to me that everyone is bringing up good points. IT is important to make the game fun to as wide a player base as possible, but it is just as importatnt to follow your own dream. I think you would do well to have all this complexity, but have options to simplify the interface to it. IT's also a very good idea to have textual descriptions of the weapons. Richer descriptions are less rprecise, but more likely to be payed attention to. text is richer than statistics, and images are richer than text. I recommend that you have all three.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement