• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Tyro

[java] Java 3D + Mac OSX

This topic is 4389 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I wanted to do some programming with Java3D but unfourtantly it is not compatible with Mac OSX 10.4. Are there any alternatives to this because I was looking foward to java 3D programming or is there any other way around the problem beacuse I really want to use Java3D for some work I have to do.

Advertisement
If you're looking for a scenegraph you can try out
jMonkeyEngine: www.jMonkeyEngine.com
Xith3D: www.xith3d.org

if you want pure opengl then there is lwjgl (lwjgl.org) or jogl

Sorry for the delayed reply but I don't watch these forums often. In the current builds of Java3D 1.5.0 a new JOGL backend for Java3D is available. Since JOGL runs on Mac OS X this means that the latest Java3D also runs on OS X. There are some gotchas with the installation because Apple ships a Java3D install by default, but it isn't too hard to unpack and install the appropriate jar files and get things working. You can find the preliminary builds here:

https://java3d.dev.java.net/binary-builds-pre.html

You would need to download the build for another platform such as linux-i586, unpack it, and install just the jar files, not the native libraries. Then you would need to download and install JOGL for OS X. I believe instructions for running the JoglPipeline are in the README. You might want to post on the Java3D forum on javadesktop.org for help and also look at this thread:

http://www.javagaming.org/forums/index.php?topic=13993.0

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!