Sign in to follow this  

Unity Enabling Alpha channels in SDL?

This topic is 4210 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a sprite I made in Photoshop, with transparency, and a alpha channel. The background is transparent when I load it into Flash, but when I try to blit it into my game, their is a white background. I believe it's my code. Is their a function or something that allows the alpha channel to be used in my SDL game? I've been having a tough time with this, and can't figure this out! BTW, I'm using a TGA saved as 32 bit, and my SDL game has BPP set at 32 as well. Here is a link to my other thread concerning the Photoshop aspect, there is code at the bottom of my load.cpp: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=397525

You may have to use OpenGL from inside of SDL to get the alpha-blending to be fast enough. There is a partially documented library called hxRender that should help with setting up OpenGL for 2D graphics.

That's not what I want. I already have an alpha channel that is saved in my TGA from Photoshop. It's just that their is a white background. The background was transparent when I put it in Flash to test it; so I figured it was my code that gave me the background. So do I have to enable something to ALLOW the alpha channels to be used from my TGA that I made in PHOTOSHOP?

Quote:
Original post by Sentralia
That's not what I want. I already have an alpha channel that is saved in my TGA from Photoshop. It's just that their is a white background. The background was transparent when I put it in Flash to test it; so I figured it was my code that gave me the background. So do I have to enable something to ALLOW the alpha channels to be used from my TGA that I made in PHOTOSHOP?

Correct, this is what these functions do iirc, I wasn't clear. It *should* work.
EDIT: sorry I think it's only needed to use the SDL_DisplayFormatAlpha function instead of SDL_DisplayFormat.

If you need to load Targa files into your program then maybe you should look into SDL_Image library.

Your post is not very specific about what part about enabling alpha-channel you are referring to. Also, having read the other thread you listed in your post, I think that you don't need the hxRender library in your project since SDL's alpha-blending functions are fast enough for a breakout clone.

This topic is 4210 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.