Would this be Legal or Illegal?

Started by
13 comments, last by Palidine 17 years, 9 months ago
Were it the case that there were no suitable tools availiable that were free or reasonably priced, I wouldent have such a problem with piracy. But when you can get Microsofts latest compilers for free, Java for free (with at least 2 popular IDEs) GIMP for free (and a few other really good paint programs for <$20), Various 3d modeling programs for free or really cheap, etc. justifying piracy makes little sense.
Advertisement
Nothing to add, just backing up what others have said....

Your friend is in breach of copyright law for giving you the copy of the tool (assuming it was a copy and not a present he paid for).
In most locations you receiving it would be a similar crime.
Producing your own original graphics with that tool isn't illegal and neither is distribution of those graphics in your game.... however it would certainly be immoral to sell the game and thus benefit financially.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
If your friend gives you a copy, then he is in breach of copyright law. But, according to what the license says, one of the following might be legal:
1) Using a remote desktop connection to your friends PC and using the program from there.
or
2) Have your friend let you use the program directly on his computer. The difference from 1) is that now there is only one person using this install of the program at any given time.
If both of the above are illegal, according to the license, then you might use:
3) Have your friend uninstall the program from his computer and give you both the license key and the original installation medium, after which you can install it on your computer. This should be legal under almost all circumstances.
And remember, IANAL. Always consult a lawyer before doing stuff, for which big companies can sew you for big sums of money. And do not do immoral stuff, unless you absolutely have to.
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar
Were it the case that there were no suitable tools availiable that were free or reasonably priced, I wouldent have such a problem with piracy. But when you can get Microsofts latest compilers for free, Java for free (with at least 2 popular IDEs) GIMP for free (and a few other really good paint programs for <$20), Various 3d modeling programs for free or really cheap, etc. justifying piracy makes little sense.

I'm glad you can justify stealing. How do you justify going into a store and stealing DVD/CDs when you dont need them? This is the same deal. You do not NEED this software, you WANT it. Big difference.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Quote:Original post by Mike2343
Quote:Original post by PaulCesar

I'm glad you can justify stealing. How do you justify going into a store and stealing DVD/CDs when you dont need them? This is the same deal. You do not NEED this software, you WANT it. Big difference.

erm... the person you quoted said that pirating this stuff isn't good.

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement