The Ultimate Fast Integer Square Root

Started by
9 comments, last by Brother Bob 17 years, 10 months ago
Are you looking for fast square root for integer only? Well, dont look further. This code is 99% no other function calls (except abs but i have a faster absolute function in this forum also for better performance) . unsigned int newt_sqrt(unsigned int input) { int nv, v = input>>1, c = 0; if (!v) return input; do { nv = (v + input/v)>>1; if (abs(v - nv) <= 1) // I have an available fast absolute value in this forum. If you have it. use the next one. //if (absi(v - nv) <= 1) return nv; v = nv; } while (c++ < 25); return nv; } Hope you like it
Advertisement
How does this compare to other sqrt() functions?
Quote:
while (c++ < 25);
return nv;
}

Highly optimized code.... [grin]
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Quote:
while (c++ < 25);
return nv;
}
Highly optimized code.... [grin]
That's part of a do...while loop.
doh, just woke up. I'm allowed to misread code... [lol]
Again not good, at least there's a reason to try and improve integer sqrt(), unlike your abs() attempt.

For improving sqrt(), see here.

In particular, this implementation (assumes a modern 32-bit CPU with a deep pipeline and fast FPU, ie. a standard desktop PC). I modified it slight to be more C++-ish.
int32_t sqrt(int32_t r){    float x;    float rr = r;    float y = rr*0.5;    *(unsigned int*)&x = (0xbe6f0000 - *(uint32_t*)&rr) >> 1;    x = (1.5f*x) - (x*x)*(x*y);    if(r>101123) x = (1.5f*x) - (x*x)*(x*y);    int32_t is = (int32_t)(x*rr + 0.5f);    return is + (r - is*is)>>31;}
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
I have tested your sqrt function with the following code:
#include <stdio.h>#include <math.h>#include <windows.h>#pragma comment(lib,"winmm.lib")unsigned int sqrti(unsigned int input){	return((unsigned int)sqrt((double)input));}unsigned int newt_sqrt(unsigned int input){	int nv, v = input>>1, c = 0;	if (!v)		return input;	do	{		nv = (v + input/v)>>1;		if (abs(v - nv) <= 1) // I have an available fast absolute value in this forum. If you have it. use the next one.			//if (absi(v - nv) <= 1)			return nv;		v = nv;	}	while (c++ < 25);	return nv;}void main(){	DWORD t1,t2;	t1=timeGetTime();	for(unsigned int i=0;i<=1000000;i++) newt_sqrt(i);	t2=timeGetTime();		printf("dt = %d ms\n",t2-t1);	t1=timeGetTime();	for(unsigned int i=0;i<=1000000;i++) sqrti(i);	t2=timeGetTime();	printf("dt = %d ms\n",t2-t1);}

Here the results:
dt = 375 ms
dt = 46 ms

newt_sqrt is much slower than sqri.

I have compiled the code with the following options using MSVC2005:
/Od /Ob1 /Ot /GL /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "_UNICODE" /D "UNICODE" /FD /EHsc /MD /Fo"Release\\" /Fd"Release\vc80.pdb" /W3 /nologo /c /Wp64 /Zi /TP /errorReport:prompt
you didn't try with joanusdmentia's version too?
hehe, i just want to share an implementation of my simple integer square root function W/O using any other functions except abs which i have myself. i know its slow just want to show to people that i can do simple things like this w/o functions T_T. but im not shy to accept my code's slowness because im only 16 years old hehehe
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
you didn't try with joanusdmentia's version too?

I wouldn't really call it mine. Hell, I probably broke it in some subtle way while C++-ifying it [rolleyes]. If I did, check the link for the original.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement