operator new errors

Started by
4 comments, last by CrazyCdn 17 years, 10 months ago
hi, i've been trying to create memory debugger, but i'm struggling to get my overloaded operator new to compile. my code is this: main.cpp
#include "leaky.h"

int main()
{
	int num = new int;	// Create a leak
	ReportLeaks();		// Report the leak
};
leaky.cpp
#include "leaky.h"
#undef MEM_DEBUG

list<mem_info> tracker;

void * operator new(size_t size, const char *file, int line)
{
	try
	{
		// Allocate the memory check that the allocation was a success and add to the tracker
		if(size == 0)
		{
			size = 1;	// Make sure a size of 0 is not sent to malloc
		}
		void *ptr = (void *)malloc(size);
		if(ptr == 0)
		{
			throw bad_alloc();
		}
		mem_info m_info(ptr, size, file, line);
		AddTracker(m_info);
		return(ptr);
	}
	catch(bad_alloc)
	{
		// Handle an error
		fstream mem("leaks.txt");
		mem << "MEMORY ALLOCATION ERROR" << "\n";
	}
};

void operator delete(void *p)
{
	RemoveTracker((void *)p);
	free(p);
};

void AddTracker(mem_info minfo)
{
	tracker.push_back(minfo);
};

void RemoveTracker(void *ptr)
{
	list<mem_info>::iterator iter;

for(iter = tracker.begin(); iter != tracker.end(); iter++)
	{
		if((*iter).GetPointer() == ptr)
		{
			tracker.remove((*iter));
			break;
		}
	}
};

void ReportLeaks()
{
	list<mem_info>::iterator iter;
	fstream mem("leaks.txt");

// Report the memory leaks
	mem << "\tAddress\t" << "\tSize\t" << "\tFile\t" << "\tLine\t" << "\n\n";
	mem << "\t----------" << "----------" << "----------" << "----------" << "\n\n";
	{
		mem << "\t" << (*iter).GetPointer() << "\t\t" << (*iter).GetSize() << "\t\t"
			<< (*iter).GetFile() << "\t\t" << (*iter).GetLine() << "\t\n\n";
	}
	{
		free((*iter).GetPointer());	// Make sure that no memory is left allocated
	}
	mem.close();
};

// return file name
const char* mem_info::GetFile()
{
	return file;
};

// return line number
int mem_info::GetLine()
{
	return line;
};

// return address of object
void * mem_info::GetPointer()
{
	return ptr;
};

// return size of object
size_t mem_info::GetSize()
{
	return size;
};

bool mem_info::operator ==(const mem_info &other) const
{
	return this->ptr == other.ptr;
}
#define MEM_DEBUG
leaky.h
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//						Detect memory leaks						   //
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

#include <cstddef>		// For size_t
#include <list>			// For list
#include <stdlib.h>		// For malloc and free
#include <stdexcept>	// For bad_alloc
#include <fstream>		// For file access
using std::size_t;
using std::bad_alloc;
using std::list;
using std::fstream;

// replace the default new with new modified version
#ifdef MEM_DEBUG
#define new new(__FILE__, __LINE__)
#endif

#undef MEM_DEBUG
void* operator new(size_t size, const char *file, int line);

void operator delete(void *p);

class mem_info
{
public:
	mem_info(void *mptr, size_t msize, const char* mfile, int mline) 
		: ptr(mptr), size(msize), file(mfile), line(mline) {};	// Set up the class
	~mem_info() {};			// Cleanup the class
	void * GetPointer();	// Get the address of the object
	size_t GetSize();		// Get the size of the object
	const char* GetFile();	// Get the file name
	int GetLine();			// Get the line number
	bool operator==( const mem_info &other ) const;
private:
	void *ptr;			// The address of the allocated memory
	size_t size;		// The size on the memory allocated
	const char* file;	// The file in which the allocation accured
	int line;			// The line in which the allocation accured
};

void AddTracker(mem_info minfo);	// Add the allocated memory info to the list

void RemoveTracker(void *ptr);		// Remove the allocated memory info from the list

void ReportLeaks();					// Report the leaks
#define MEM_DEBUG

and the errors are:
------ Build started: Project: leaky, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
leaky.cpp
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2365: 'operator new' : redefinition; previous definition was 'function'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2078: too many initializers
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'void *'
        Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '('
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2226: syntax error : unexpected type 'size_t'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.cpp(6) : error C2365: 'operator new' : redefinition; previous definition was 'function'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.cpp(6) : error C2078: too many initializers
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.cpp(6) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'void *'
        Conversion from integral type to pointer type requires reinterpret_cast, C-style cast or function-style cast
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.cpp(6) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '('
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.cpp(6) : error C2226: syntax error : unexpected type 'size_t'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.cpp(6) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.cpp(7) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '{'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.cpp(7) : error C2447: '{' : missing function header (old-style formal list?)
main.cpp
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2365: 'operator new' : redefinition; previous definition was 'function'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2078: too many initializers
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int' to 'void *'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '('
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2226: syntax error : unexpected type 'size_t'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\leaky.h(21) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'
c:\documents and settings\jason\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\leaky\leaky\main.cpp(5) : error C2661: 'operator new' : no overloaded function takes 3 arguments
Generating Code...
Build Time 0:01
Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\Jason\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\leaky\leaky\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
leaky - 21 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

btw i'mn using mscv 2005 and am defining MEM_DEBUG in project settings thanks jason
Advertisement
I *think* i had similar problems to this and i believe mine were down to the #defining of file and line numbers into the new call.

writing a new that follows one of the regular ones first, without file and line positions.

Dave
oops wrong secxtion could a mod please move to general
Your error is in the following piece of code (well one of them is anyway, don't know if there is more).
#ifdef MEM_DEBUG#define new new(__FILE__, __LINE__)#endif#undef MEM_DEBUGvoid* operator new(size_t size, const char *file, int line);

Now imagine if MEM_DEBUG is defined when this code is read. The preprocessor will transform it into this:
void* operator new(__FILE__,__LINE__)(size_t size, const char *file, int line);

Which gives you an error. Undefining MEM_DEBUG won't help since you have already defined new, and undefining MEM_DEBUG won't change that.
thanks i've got that working but i need to overload new[] and delete[], would something like this write?

operator new[x](size_t size, const char* file, int line)
{
for( int y = 0; y < x; y++ )
{
malloc(size);
}
};

if how does it work?

thanks jason
Go to Fluid Studios website and download their Memory Manager (on main page near the bottom). Everything you want is already written for you. If you're doing it to learn looking over their code would likely help you too.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement