Sign in to follow this  
BradDaBug

Gtk#, OpenGL, and Windows

I want to use Gtk# to develop a GUI application on Windows. Not that hard, right? But I also want to use OpenGL within that application. Now it gets tricky. There is stuff like Tao and CsGL that provide controls for WinForms for OpenGL drawing, and there's controls for Gtk# on Linux, but none of these seem completely portable. What to do?

You can develop OpenGL applications for Linux using .NET/Mono's System.Windows.Forms . If you have a look at Tao.Platforms.Windows, you'll find an OpenGL control to render the OpenGL context. DaWanderer has also made a few changes to it: OpenGLWinFormsControl.cs. The control more or less acts as an example of how to render OpenGL for the System.Windows.Forms platform.

Another thing you could do is take a look at the SimpleOpenGlControl and then create your own Gtk# control from it. If you do put one together, be sure to post it on the Tao Forum.

CsGL is just a much older version of Tao.OpenGL.

Does the "windows" part of Tao.Platform.Windows mean the Windows.Forms platform, or the actual Windows OS?

I was trying to stay away from WinForms since Mono support for WinForms just seems too buggy and incomplete right now. Writing my own Gtk# control that will work on both Windows and Linux sounds interesting.