Sign in to follow this  

Organizing Projects

This topic is 4206 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm starting to get a lot of miscellaneous projects and code snippets.. How does everyone organize this stuff? I'm using MSVC++ VS Studio right now. Do you keep all of the files when the project is finished or do you just keep the source code? Right now, I have a directory structure that is broken into language (java, c++, and various web stuff), and simply have a folder for each project. I've also thinking about using CVS or Subversion. I believe these are the most common? What about others? Is it really worth it for me to use a source code repository? Thanks Casey

Quote:
Original post by caseydIs it really worth it for me to use a source code repository?

Yes it is :).

Setting up CVS is really easy, and it's just as easy to learn to use it. For instance, what if you wanted to try some new algorithm to do something major (say some big rendering component). Now, say you aren't sure if it'll work, but you know that if you do it, it will be extremely hard to go back to the old way. Without source control, you would end up copying your whole source tree somewhere 'safe' and go from there. With CVS, you would just create a new branch, mess with your code, and if it works out, then you can merge it in with your mainline, and you're done!

This topic is 4206 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.