New

Started by
2 comments, last by Morpheus011 17 years, 10 months ago
Hi I'm new to this whole Mircrosoft Visual C++ 6.0, and I need help creating my own game. Can someone please help me.
Advertisement
Well, I'd recommend getting a later compiler than that, but it should suffice for most DirectX and OpenGL (DirectX = Graphics, Input, Audio, Network API, OpenGL = Graphics API(Application Programming Interface)). But that's really for after a year or two of getting used to C++ and creating text-based games. If C++ is your first language then I'd say it's a good starting point (I haven't used any other language since I started) but it's all a matter of oppinion. I'm sure that someone will disagree with me and say that you should start with a more basic language. If you can handle C++, thugh, then all the more power to you. I'm also assuming that you've read books on C++, if you haven't then you should read them as you program, again, this is all down to personal preferance. I hope this helps.
Agreed. Go here to download Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. It's free for life, so go for it. Version 6.0 is pre-standard C++ (as in, the C++ language isn't defined or owned by Microsoft, they just provide the compiler/IDE), so it doesn't conform to the standard. That's bad karma.

As for help, I suggest learning some C++ before even thinking about games. Well, perhaps a "guess the number" game - that's a good one to learn, as it teaches the basics of looping and conditional statements. There are plenty of tutorials out there on the internets - so go for it.

Hope that helps.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
don't forget to stop by the beginners forum FAQ!

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=31

...sorry can't remember how to linkify things

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement