What would be the best 3D Modeling program for a beginner??

Started by
7 comments, last by ViLiO 17 years, 10 months ago
Would it be best to jump straight into 3DS Max, or is there a better program to start out with and work my way up? Also, which is better, 3DS Max or Maya?
Advertisement
MilkShape3D is a great low poly modeler and pretty cheap too at $25.

Between Maya and 3DS-Max I don't know, I've never used Maya, but I've only ever heard good things about it.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"~Patrick Henry
Well, money is not the concern. I am getting it as a birthday present. I was just wondering if I should use a product, such as Milkshape, to work my way up? Or is 3DS Max or Maya fine to begin with?
In that case I would just spring for one of those two, there are plenty of learning materials on the internet to teach you how to use them.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"~Patrick Henry
i made a big mistake, i started of using truespace, and got very familiar with its interface, and its capabilities. i then, when i had the money, bought 3ds max 7.5, as i heard so many things about it. and since then (2 years) i havnt got to grips with 3ds, this is down to starting with a basic program. obviously i had no choice, i had to use a cheap program to start with. but i think it would be better to use 3ds MAX, and DONT use anything else.

Hope this helped :)
Neither one is better. Maya's interface and scripting language make it the tool I prefer, but both applications are very similar in a feature to feature comparison. The important thing to learn is not the tool, but the concepts. A lot of employers would expect you to know one or the other, but be willing to use both.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
Quote:Original post by imagin
i then, when i had the money, bought 3ds max 7.5, as i heard so many things about it. and since then (2 years) i havnt got to grips with 3ds, this is down to starting with a basic program.

Not to nitpick (well yeah.. to nitpick) but 3DS Max 7.5 came out in May of last year. I don't see how you could have bought it two years ago.
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
Don't forget Blender - It's free (well, if you want a fancy paper manual, you pay for that)! Why not get hardware for your bday and use it with a free modeler? (I think Maya is also free, but I don't remember).
If it was me, i'd pick a free modeller first just to see if 3D modelling was something I enjoyed and could do well.

Max and Maya are expensive and it would be a serious investment to just go buy one them when you are a beginner. Have a go with Maya PLE or a 3ds Max free trial (if such a thing exists) or XSI Mod first. See what you make of modelling and then decide.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement