• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cobra

Skeletal animation - selected... help.....

This topic is 6436 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I hope you can help me with this. How would I go about making it so that when I press a certain key, a set of frames are animated in a loop. For example, when I press forwards it will run frames 1-15 in a loop so long as it''s being held down. ( possibly a run animation ). I hope you can help. Thanx.. ~Cobra~

Advertisement
Mark certain keyframes as start and endpoints. This will require that you modify the code accordingly, setting up new m_totalTime values for each animation.

I am taking care of this in the latest PortaLib3D version now. The last version added support for multiple animations, although Milkshape3D only has one. I am planning to create a new file format that will import the model from MS3D and the animations separately and put them all into one file so tehre are different animations on the same model.

For now, to not change existing code, I''d recommend creating a separate MS3D file for each animation and use that. IT''ll take a lot of extra memory though, unless you make them all use the same model data.

Hope that helps

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL

Hey thanx... using separate models for each animation really simplifies the problem.

It works great now.

Eventually, I''ll have to make it so that I can load different animations from one file, but for now, doing it this way is just as good.

Thanx again brett, you''ve really helped a lot.

~Cobra~

no problem!

If you move to separate models from one file, could I get you to consider implementing the functionality in PortaLib3D (the base source is really similar).

I have very little time to work on it, and I''d like to get others in on the project. It is in CVS at sourceforge, so collaboration shouldn''t be a hassle.

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL

LOL.... of course. If I get around to doing it ( and it works ), I''ll be sure to inform you and we can try and get it into portalib.

At the moment I''m developing my own game engine. So far I have quake3 bsp''s loaded, with collision detection and all the little quake3 extra''s such as shaders are working in my engine ( I had to write them myself, wicked to see them working ).

I have 1 more thing to do before the level code is complete... and that''s loading the skys! hehehe.

Once that''s done, I''ll be on to model importing, so then I''ll be spending a LOT of time in that area. I''ll ( of course ) try and get single file selectable animations to work within ms3d files before trying anything like making my own model editor, so there''s a good chance that I''ll get it working, but it might take some time..

IF I manage to get it working, you will be the first person I inform.

~Cobra~

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!