nuclear explosion render

Started by
8 comments, last by daniel_i_l 17 years, 10 months ago
Here's my first attempt at making a nuclear explosion with my particle engine. Any sudgestions? Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Thanks.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Advertisement
Watch
" target="_blank">this. It seems to be a cgi nuclear simulation that shows all the parts that make up a nuclear explosion, and should give you some ideas.

As to your image, it would be better if you showed an animation, so we can see the progression of the effect. Also the vertical plume appears to be in front of the lower dust cloud.
check the "Cg Explosion Effect" sample in the nvidia sdk.
Holy crap I started a blog - http://unobvious.typepad.com/
Quote:Original post by gregs
Watch
" target="_blank">this.
Wow. That's awesome.
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
The youtube thing - it's missing the vacuum after the shockwave.
"That''s to do with the day I finally realized the world had gone totally mad and built the Asylum to put it in, poor thing, and hoped it would get better."-Wonko the SaneSo Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
You need to render the fire particles additively, e.g. with a GL_ONE, GL_ONE blend function.

You should also sort the particles by depth and render back-to-front.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Quote:Original post by benjamin bunny
You need to render the fire particles additively, e.g. with a GL_ONE, GL_ONE blend function.

You should also sort the particles by depth and render back-to-front.
You don't need to depth sort if you're doing additive blending. And it looks like he's doing additive blending already (Although it's a bit hard to tell).
Quote:Original post by Bob III
The youtube thing - it's missing the vacuum after the shockwave.

It's there, just subdued (most noticably in the final run). Also, note the lesser amount of dust near ground zero (Test #2), sucked into the cloud presumably. Not bad, in my opinion.

My favorite nuclear test videos are Able and Baker of Operation Crossroads (A and B, the military is so creative :p), but that's mostly because they're so difference from traditional land tests.
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
You don't need to depth sort if you're doing additive blending. And it looks like he's doing additive blending already (Although it's a bit hard to tell).

Clearly if all your particles are additively blended then you can avoid depth sorting.

However, if you have any subtractively blended particles (GL_SRC_ALPHA, GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_ALPHA) in the scene then you should depth sort all your particles, including the additively blended ones. Otherwise you'll get artifacts. I'm assuming that the OP will still want to render smoke particles subtractively, since he's already doing that.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Wow that link is great. How can I make something even close to that? Did they use a particle engine? How did they make that firey smoke?
Thanks.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement