Stuck On what kind of character to use for horror game

Started by
33 comments, last by Horror-game-freak 17 years, 9 months ago
I got a question for people here at this forum. Maybe you can help me with a problem I have been struggling with for some time now. And I could really use some opinions about it. Heres the problem. I have been working on this Horror Game for awhile now, and I am some what lost on what kind of characters to use for the heroes in my game. I really dont want to use characters that other games has used. For example Leon Scott Kennedy from Resident Evil 2 who was a rookie cop. Or Aya Brea from Parasite Eve (1st Game) who also was a cop. That is if my memory is correct. Originally I was going to have my two characters as Navy Seals. Then some one suggested to me (Make them FBI Agents), but if I remember correctly a game has already used that kind of character. I then planned to make them Swat Officers, but then I realized that they would still be cops regardless. If they were swat or just regular police officers. So now I am wondering if I shouldn't have them as law enforcement people but some thing else. But I am not sure as to what to make them. I also want to add this in to help you know what I am doing. See what it is, the city has lost communication with the outside world. And two people are sent in to investigate why the city had lost contact and who was behind it. But when they get there the city has been destroyed way beyond recognition. So the question is this. What Kind of characters do you all think I should use? Because right now I am forced to use them as Swat Officers... I am very willing to listen to any ideas and opinions. One last note, they really don't have to be with law enforcement, but I would like it if they was, because of the way i got my story line and plot going... I would appreciate any thoughts you all may have.. Thanks for your time Duncan
Advertisement
I think the whole law enforcement officer saves the city from zombies thing is a bit generic.. You might want to go with a more human slant, by putting regular people into the fray. Maybe they lost contact with friends/family, and head into the city to see if they're alright... Something to give the player a more emotional connection to the game, rather than some generic hero they use as a tool to slaughter baddies. Hell, you can even go a full 180 from the typical hero type and make one of the characters confined to a wheelchair, or make one of them blind and the other has to drag them around by the arm ( ok, so that's straight out of Ico ). Whatever you choose, it should be SOMETHING different. :)
Daniel
As much as putting regular people into the fray, resident evil outbreak 1 and file #2 has did that. But regardless it is still a good idea. And your comment on the law enforcement being generic is right. But I would have to change my entire story line and plot if I used basic people. The reason why is because these two people are sent in to find out what happened to the city and why. Basically why the city had lost contact with the outside world. Also I would like to note in that there is no zombies in my game. But I did get your meaning behind what you saying. Don't get me wrong I am really taking your opinion into consideration. It does give me a place to start thinking about. At least it's a start on some thing new. I just hope I can figure some thing out and soon.And thanks for replying to the post.
Fire fighters...?
I just realized what you meant by using the human slant thing, and I think its a good idea. So disregard my last post about not using basic people. You might have some thing I can use. Certainly gives me some thing to work with. The only reason why I didn't catch what you meant the first time is because I am tired and didn't get much sleep. But I still appreciate the answering of my post with a serious reply. Thanks again.
If I may ask, why did you suggest Fire Fighters? I am just curious as to what would make you suggest them. I am only wondering. Please tell me why you think them if you would please.
Do they even need to be "good guys"? Couldn't they equally be gangsters or drug dealers? That would be original...
Why would you use Drug Dealers in a horror game? And why would you wanna use gangsters as well? I want to know why you suggested them. There has to be a reason. I would like to hear it. I am just curious as to why you said those type people.. Please reply back soon as possible.
Clearly, your hero needs to be a hot chick in short pants and a too small tank top. It's been done as an archaeologist, though, so you'll probably have to make her an anthropologist instead. [Tomb Raider]

Or maybe an adolescent in a dress, escaping from an orphanage/asylum, throwing knives. No, wait, that's been done, too :-) [Alice]

Anyway, why just guys?
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I suggested fire fighters as they are sortof 'law enforcement' people, but are different from the traditional army/cop/SWAT guy that you were trying to avoid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement