Sign in to follow this  
LaserLars

When is it a good time to get into graphics programming?

Hello :) I've been learning C++ for a few months now and it's just amazing :]] So far I've just created console based programs and some basic games. So I was wondering, how much knowledge should you obtain before you start looking into OpenGL or any type of programming that involves graphics? Thanks in advance :)

Once you have the basics of:

-Loops, if tests, etc.
-Arrays(or even better, std::vectors or std::lists)
-Strings(or, std::string)
-Classes(just the simple stuff is necessary)

And file I/O could be good, too, but definately not easy to learn after you've started working on a game.

There's no magic thing that you have to know to do graphics.

I say, go for it!

When you feel you're ready to try.

Graphical programming definately adds a layer of complexity that can make it more difficult to learn the language itself - why you start out with console programming - and it's certainly a good idea to get a firm grasp of the language before jumping into graphics, but it should be a fun and/or interesting task, so if console programs just don't do it for you there isn't really much point in continuing with them; you'll just get frustrated and end up disliking programming.

Do make sure you at least understand your basic flow-control (if/else, for and while looping) and simple datastructures (your basic variables, arrays, structs). If you're using a language that has classes it's probably also worth at least reading about them (ideally experimenting a bit in the console as well) before moving on, and it would also be beneficial to have at least a basic understanding of pointers, as you're very likely to come across them.

You can always go back to more basic things and read up on details you don't understand when you're attempting to work with a graphics API. Do try to become fairly proficient with your language of choice before getting into more complex things such as graphics, but it's really up to you when you'd like to try it, and there's no point holding yourself back if you'd like to move on now/soon.