GP2X

Started by
3 comments, last by Oluseyi 17 years, 9 months ago
Hey guys, I've been debating picking one of these up, but I had some quick questions that I couldn't find answers to on the site: I looked at the SDK and it had opengl32.lib, so I assume (possibly falsely) there's OpenGL support on the system. How is that? Is it hardware accelerated at all? Do you get any kind of reasonable speed when using it for a game? ...actually, that was pretty much the only question. ^_^ Cheers, --Brian
Advertisement
Whatever OpenGL support it has was previously completely unknown to me. The CPU (ARM9) lacks an FPU so I doubt you're going to get really great performance. I believe someone was working on a software version of OpenGL that ran on the second CPU.

It may actually have a version of Mesa (a Linux software GL renderer) but that is very slow.

If you're really big on 3D, you'll want to either write your own software rasterizer, find one that someone else wrote, or just make a 2D game. [wink]
it runs quake doesn't it? Doesn't quake use OpenGL?
Quote:Original post by eedok

Quake has its own software renderer as an engine and uses OGL as another engine. So it can switch between the two depending on what kind of hardware the game detects.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by eedok

GLQuake uses OpenGL. The original, initial release of Quake didn't rely on OpenGL. GLQuake was the game that pushed 3D accelerators into the popular sphere.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement