visual c++ express and compiling...

Started by
2 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 17 years, 10 months ago
hey all, i've just set up visual c++ express and am trying to convert my current dev c++ project to a vc++ project but am having a heap of trouble compiling, so i've got a few questions: what file will vc++ compile first? how do you set file compile order? how does the #including work? (seriously, it seems way different to devc++ - it looks like it only keeps the definitions for the file that includes it... not for all the following code...) and finally, is all of this related and what practice should i use to solve the problem? sorry to pose so many questions but it really has me stumped; i mean, i'm trying to move to a noticably cleaner and easier coding IDE but it just isn't making it all that easy! thanks for any help,
the_moo
Advertisement
It really is rather difficult to give you an answer without more information. What compiler errors are you getting (please post all of them)? How are you using #include? How are you converting your project?

jfl.
This page may help:

http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/DWinLib2BareApp.asp

Even though it is written for DWinLib, it has pointers on getting VCE up and running.

David
Quote:Original post by the_moo
hey all,
i've just set up visual c++ express and am trying to convert my current dev c++ project to a vc++ project but am having a heap of trouble compiling, so i've got a few questions:
what file will vc++ compile first?

This shouldn't matter. I'd go with "the topmost on the project list with a .c/.cpp extension which dosn't have an up to date project file". Note that this means none of them will be (re)compiled if it's all up to date.

Quote:how do you set file compile order?

You don't.

Quote:how does the #including work? (seriously, it seems way different to devc++ - it looks like it only keeps the definitions for the file that includes it... not for all the following code...)

Every .cpp file should #include the headers containing whatever definitions it needs. This is the same with both IDEs. Since I don't know what exactly is confusing/different seeming between the two, I'll just link some random headers/multiple source file tutorial.

Quote:and finally, is all of this related and what practice should i use to solve the problem?

Typically, headers (.h/.hpp) contain a surrounding include guard, class definitions, function prototypes, and inline function implementations. Source files (.c/.cpp) typically contain the bulk of the code behind each function (and do not need include guards). Both headers and source files #include whatever other headers they may depend on, although they should absolutely never #include another source file (this will lead to linker errors when the same code is repeatedly seen by the linker for a non-inline function).

Quote:sorry to pose so many questions but it really has me stumped; i mean, i'm trying to move to a noticably cleaner and easier coding IDE but it just isn't making it all that easy!

The problem dosn't lie with the IDE, I can say that much right off the bat :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement