Is there a graphic program for this???

Started by
4 comments, last by Spater 17 years, 10 months ago
Im curious about this. And it would definitely help me a great deal. I know how to create textures to place over 3D models (to an extent). But I wanted to know if theres any kind of software that is made for creating, I guess you would call them "Color Maps". Or "Image Maps". The texture layer that gives the texture its color. Is there any commercial software designed specifically for that purpose? Thanks for any help yall. I appreciate it.
Advertisement
Hmm... That would be an interesting piece of software, and terribly useful too. I don't know of any, but I'm no expert. If it doesn't exist, I think that there's certaintly a market for it.
Try the Visual Arts forums. They probably know more about graphic software.
-----------------------------------------Everyboddy need someboddy!
The difference between a texture map and a color map is that some surface lighting information is usually baked into the texture. However, when generating meshes with normal maps, artists just generate color maps, and let the normal map take care of the per-texel lighting.

Thus, they use whatever usual paint programs are used -- typically Photoshop or Z-Brush. Also, most high-end modelers have a "paint vertices" tool where you can spray vertex color onto a geometric model. Then you can use render-to-texture from the tool (such as 3dsmax) to get the vertex color out as a texture map. This is great when going from a million polys to 10,000 polys for a character.

enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Assuming I understand your question correctly, there are programs for this, off the top of my head: Deep Paint 3D/UV. Also, the higher end modelling programs, such as Maya have this functionality built in.
I would also like to say look at Deep Paint. Zbrush also has this kind of functionality as well

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement