Vista w/o DVD Burner?

Started by
4 comments, last by gumpy 17 years, 10 months ago
So, I'm downloading the Vista beta 2 ISO, but I don't have a DVD burner. Is there a way to boot straight from an ISO file as if it were a CD/DVD drive? I mean, I know there's things like Alcohol 120, but do they let you actually boot from the virtual drives, or are they just for convenience? Help appreciated. [smile]
Advertisement
No, the virtual drives most programs make are visible only inside windows/linux once it is running.

You can however boot off the disk if you have a virutal computer that can see the disk.
Thus, if you get a copy of VMWare or a similar program, you can run that from inside your regular OS, and then
boot the virtual ISO drive inside VMWare and test your OS there.

If however you want to install over your current OS, then you might be out of luck without a burner.
if feel like paying a very small fee ($6?) you can order it. apparently they also send you rc1 later.

Windows Vista Customer Preview Program
Quote:
Order the Windows Vista Beta 2 and RC1 DVD kits

Choose this option to have the Windows Vista Beta 2 and RC1 DVD kits sent to your home or office. This option requires payment to cover DVD production, shipping, and handling costs. (Cost will vary by country based on local taxes and delivery charges.) The Beta 2 DVD kit will be shipped soon after you place your order; the RC1 DVD kit will be sent to you when it is available later this year.
This space for rent.
Quote:Original post by KulSeran
You can however boot off the disk if you have a virutal computer that can see the disk.
Thus, if you get a copy of VMWare or a similar program, you can run that from inside your regular OS, and then
boot the virtual ISO drive inside VMWare and test your OS there.
I'd just like to add that this works great with the free VMWare Player - just use www.easyvmx.com to generate the VMX file.

A DVD burner costs all of $32 (that's 25.34 Euro for you early birds). You really owe it to yourself to get one.

Actually, if you're going to pay shipping, you might as well add $10 and get a DL burner :-)
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Quote:Original post by hplus0603
A DVD burner costs all of $32 (that's 25.34 Euro for you early birds). You really owe it to yourself to get one.

Actually, if you're going to pay shipping, you might as well add $10 and get a DL burner :-)

i have a nec 3550 ($35) and it works flawlessly.
This space for rent.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement