Sign in to follow this  
rick_appleton

Who isn't participating?

I'm not, I don't really have enough time with all of the college work I procrastinated on.

I'm not entering... I've got loads of work, and I'm dedicated to the Retro Remakes Competition ATM. I don't think I could handle another project. I probably won't even be able to finish RR's project, with exams and vacation and more exams coming up.

I'm not really following, as there are way too many people being busy here. I'll check out the results when they're in :).

Quote:
Original post by Eagle7
I read about this, do you guys have this every year?

That's the plan. It took a bit of a break in 03/04 because nobody really had the time to run it, but now that I'm running the show and I have no life, I'll be able to bring you fresh elemental goodness every year for the foreseeable future. [smile]

Wouldn't most people not enter, normally? It takes a lot of time and dedication to get something done and submitted. I'm not entering either, though the theme this year seems very interesting.

Quote:
Original post by superpig
...and I have no life, I'll be able to bring you fresh elemental goodness every year for the foreseeable future. [smile]

Just curious though. What then happens if/when you eventually get a life?

Quote:
Original post by liquidAir
Quote:
...and I have no life, I'll be able to bring you fresh elemental goodness every year for the foreseeable future. [smile]

I'll still run the contests, I'll just be drunk while doing it.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man, those are going to be some crazy elements.

Well, considering how much school work I will have, and considering I am in school over the summer (again, sigh), I will most likely not get an entry in. I will, of course, be following the contest though.

I liked last year's contest better (or at least I think I did). Weren't the elements something like chose 2 character types from pirate, zombie, ninja, and something else? So much easier, but I don't really remember as I didn't really pay much attention last year.

You had to have at least two characters (robot, pirate, ninja, zombie) in your game. All 4 weren't required, but you had to have at least two.

Watching the contests from afar generally keeps me motivated to self-teach myself this kind of stuff (wow, sucky grammar...). Anyways, the pictures always seem to be interesting and the ideas behind some of the games tend to be really captivating, for example, the pirate side-scroller game someone made last year. It looked nice. (>_<)

Quote:
Original post by Avatar God
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Man, those are going to be some crazy elements.

LOL! Piss, Pot, Puke, and Pinatas!!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Saddly, I think that I'd do better being judged by a drunk person than a sober one.

And on-topic, I'm not entering - I already have a project that takes up enough of my time. I am interested in following this contest closely, though. I started reading Gamedev alot about the time 4E4 was closing up, so this is my first real experience with this contest.

I'd like to enter but I don't like to be "locked" in Europe, so I'll pass this contest.

BTW, are there any others like me ? I like to make space sims, but right now I have no ideea to bring a space sim into Europe ...

I am working on my underlying tech (graphics, sounds, etc) and i know i wont get to game logic in time for the contest. Maybe once I get a solid game engine completed/working, I will start to work a more than a demo of that engine.

I would really like to participate in the contest, because I've missed the previous one, but sadly I have too much work at hand, plus university exams, and I'm actually working on my first commercial application right now, however, I will try to follow the progress closely as much as I can.

Keep up the good work!

@deltadream: Europe is big. Space in orbit around Europe is huge. Put a bunch of space stations in geostationary orbit inside European airspace. If you keep to a realistic scale, you could get hundreds of stations in there. Maybe they're factories, hydroponic facilities, research labs, a space elevator etc etc. Think of it as HardWar with the ground much further down, or Frontier: Europe Encounters...

Damn, this idea makes me want to enter. If only I had a bit more time... -_-;;;

Quote:
Original post by lightbringer
@deltadream: Europe is big. Space in orbit around Europe is huge. Put a bunch of space stations in geostationary orbit inside European airspace. If you keep to a realistic scale, you could get hundreds of stations in there. Maybe they're factories, hydroponic facilities, research labs, a space elevator etc etc. Think of it as HardWar with the ground much further down, or Frontier: Europe Encounters...

Damn, this idea makes me want to enter. If only I had a bit more time... -_-;;;
If you really kept everything European - countries, accents, styles, architecture, it might work, but it would require a lot of work. A generic space shooter featuring crafts with EU logos tacked on wouldn't cut it (I'm interpolating this from parts of a post I think I remember superpig posting).

Quote:
Original post by Avatar God
If you really kept everything European - countries, accents, styles, architecture, it might work, but it would require a lot of work. A generic space shooter featuring crafts with EU logos tacked on wouldn't cut it (I'm interpolating this from parts of a post I think I remember superpig posting).

Hmm... but what if my alternate reality features a politically united European Union? :)

It could be done with separate countries as you suggest. Seeing as the game would probably be 2d, there wouldn't be much of architecture, but representing national identity should be no problem. We just partition the space for the major powers. Let's say there's the German sector, the British, the Russians, the Turks, the French and the Italians. The storyline would have only these countries expanding into European space, with some healthy dose of stereotypes thrown in. It would probably not feature any combat, we are far too civilized for that :)

I'm starting to think that this might be a good opportunity to flesh out an economics model for another project... the goods and production sites might be different, but the basic trade and consumption models would carry over. One major concern would be to still make it fun to play despite being an economics prototype though... well, I suppose content creation would still be the overriding problem. *sweats*

I guess it's time to read the requirements and discussions more closely and see if I can make something compatible.

On a side note: sorry for hijacking the thread -_-;;;

Quote:
Original post by deltadream
I'd like to enter but I don't like to be "locked" in Europe, so I'll pass this contest.

BTW, are there any others like me ? I like to make space sims, but right now I have no ideea to bring a space sim into Europe ...

I don't want to be lame but we got our own nasa here in Europe, I forgot how its called but google is your best friend.

Sign in to follow this