Football Match Computation (like in manager games)

Started by
4 comments, last by losgardil 17 years, 10 months ago
Hey, This is my first message, so hello to everyone. I'm thinking of a way to compute a football match. I got some questions, I need your ideas: -I decided to do it with AI. All player's will have AIs, and I will put them on the pitch and set them FREE!. Then wait for the score and statistic (like how many pass,tackles,assists did the player(for each player) make, and so on. But with NO GRAPHICS. I think this is a good way to do so. But are there any other ways? I DON'T like to do something like, get the "first team"'s attack points and "second team"'s defence points ...some algorithm blah blah.... and GOAL! I want statistic for each player. red cards, yellow cards, goals, crosses etc. If there are more ways you want to share I will be happy. Thanks you all... P.S : I already read another post about this topic. But it doesn't satisfy me. Like I said I want statistic at player level. I'm not doing something web based, I only try to do something to compute the match. P.S : And I wonder why most of the people don't like AI based computation? Because it is harder, impossible or takes too much resources?
Advertisement
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable approach to me. Personally, I would start out by writing AI that would simulate the game in "real time" so that I can watch the players acting and see what the AI does in various situations. Once the AI works well, you can use the magic of computers to tweak the simulation to run in super-fast-forward mode and simply not show any graphics for it; same basic results, except the player doesn't see anything [smile]

Out of curiosity, what leads you to say that "most people don't like AI base computation"? Personally I find AI simulations to be pretty fascinating.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I'm programming Sony AIBO Robots playing football. Managing 4 Aibos AI is quite hard - and they are much more "restricted" as the real football: no differences in the strenght, speed, skills, no headshots, the ball is moving in 2D, the team is much smaller and so on... Shortly: there are much more degrees of freedom in the real football. I haven't programmed a football team AI, but I think that could be quite hardcore.
But give it a try - maybe you find some cool way to manage these multidimensional optimization problem.
ApochPiQ I exactly think the same thing. First test if AI is working well. Then speed up the match and see the results.

Quote:Original post by ApochPiQ
Out of curiosity, what leads you to say that "most people don't like AI base computation"? Personally I find AI simulations to be pretty fascinating.

I read the other post about football match computation, and most people say do it by statistic etc. So I think some people don't like ai :)

Quote:Original post by am2pm
I'm programming Sony AIBO Robots playing football. Managing 4 Aibos AI is quite hard - and they are much more "restricted" as the real football: no differences in the strenght, speed, skills, no headshots, the ball is moving in 2D, the team is much smaller and so on... Shortly: there are much more degrees of freedom in the real football. I haven't programmed a football team AI, but I think that could be quite hardcore.
But give it a try - maybe you find some cool way to manage these multidimensional optimization problem.

Yes you're right, your work is much different than mines I think. Because our players are virtual, and they may have different abilities.
But because of my work is virtual I can do such a thing: If two players have a collition, then solve it by calculating dribbling ability, strenght ability etc. of the attacker player, and positioning and tackling ability of the defender.
But your robot must physically pass the other player.
Quote:But with NO GRAPHICS.

I really think this is a mistake, I've played champ manager for years and you need the 2d pitch view to see whats going on; otherwise how can you see if your formation is working, needs tweeking etc etc. If you are really serious about this (which is a huge task to complete) please re-think this aspect.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:But with NO GRAPHICS.

I really think this is a mistake, I've played champ manager for years and you need the 2d pitch view to see whats going on; otherwise how can you see if your formation is working, needs tweeking etc etc. If you are really serious about this (which is a huge task to complete) please re-think this aspect.

Thanks anonymous :)
I think I must implement a very basic 2d graphic screen for testing the program. But I won't exactly think to design a manager game. I have some other plans.

But ff it will be a manager game, manager can see by looking the statistic if his formation works. For example if his team shoots 10 pass but only 1 find the target, then he thinks to train his strikers etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement