• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Merc22

Game ideas needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is 6307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

does anyone have any good ideas on a console game i can make? i tried makin an rpg but when i activate the .exe file i get an error im sorry to say but im not good at thinkin up ideas thanx

Advertisement
Dude, you only need to press the "Post Topic" button once, okay? Or you did it on purpose to annoy people, which is stupid. For a console game, you should buy a book on programming first. And don''t start of SO BIG. An RPG on the first try? Aim lower, and you''ll get somewhere.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I agree. I am doing an RPG on my first try but I regret trying such a big project even though I am naturally good at programming. Try to do as small a project as you can tolerate.

And don''t come to forums like this asking for ideas for a game. You''ll just get flamed. Think of ideas yourself. If anything, you''ll be much happier that you did. Come here asking for help on sort of techie problem.

And if you''re going to ask for creative ideas go to the Creative Side Forums or whatever they''re called. Don''t come to techie forums like this.

Anyway, if you''re going to try to make a console game and you come here asking for ideas, I''ll take a shot and say you''re self-funded and a beginner. I am too, but I''m smart enough to know that console games are just too hard. The hardware is not set up like that of a PC. Even a machine like the NES would give me trouble.

Also if you are self-funded or non-funded (that is, if you do or do not have a job bringing in money), don''t program games for a console. Why? IT''S ILLEGAL!!! What do games always say on the cover, in the manual and on the gamepak or CD? Licensed by Nintendo or Sega, or Sony or whatever console the game is for.

Stick to PCs. It won''t hurt. Sure consoles are a much more viable gaming field than PCs (in my opinion), as they last longer with the same unchanging technology, but if you can''t make a PC game, how could you make a console game?

I''m learning all this myself, but before you make another post like this, you may want to learn a bit of "netiquette". If you even THINK you''re going to get flamed for a post, either don''t post it or edit it if you did already. And ONLY click the ''post'' button once. Never do it twice. Just don''t.

Dude if you dont have any game ideas but want to make games you should give up now. The entire gaming industry is based on ideas and the person with the better ideas sells the most. Just sit back and think of a game you would like the play that you are able to make and then design it.

i think u all misunderstood me
i dont mean console such as in playstation
i mean console such as in dos

i did press once
my stupid comp went back and did it again against my will

Hey guys, lay off. I get pissed at people who preach about netiquette and correct people for little mistakes. Am I spelling everything correctly? Because if I''m not I hope I don''t get flamed. Oh, please don''t flame me!

Anyway, if you''re new and want to program for the console (i assume you mean text-based only) you might want to try a choose your own adventure type deal. This was what I started on. You can have stats and things that affect the story and such. If plain dos bores you, try a different video mode where you can change text and background color, and print text to anywhere on the screen. That would be harder, but would be a good stepping stone. Anyway, have fun, and don''t get discouraged by the earlier posts.

thanx thrump
yes i do mean text-only

i think i will make an adventure game
but i will model it after reality
i hate fantasy with magic and stuff

*sigh*

Hint to everyone...

You can edit and delete your posts. If your computer is possessed by aliens or something and posts repeatedly on you, use the delete button at the bottom. Otherwise I''ll have to.

Otherwise, question... what .exe files? I find it odd that anyone with the currently semi-apparent lack of knowledge would manage to get .exe files. Are you trying to modify code you downloaded from somewhere? If so, maybe you should tell us a little about it so we know how to help you.

-fel

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!