[.net] .NET 3.0 is a lot closer than we thought

Started by
46 comments, last by mutex 17 years, 10 months ago
Looks like Microsoft has been hiring from Sun. They seem to have gotten the people responsible for the whole Java\Java2 thing...
Quote:Somasegar's WebLog tells us: The .NET Framework has always been at the core of WinFX, but the WinFX brand didn't convey this. The WinFX brand helped us introduce the incredible innovations in terms of Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Workflow Foundation (WF) and the newly christened Windows CardSpace (WCS) formerly known under the codename "InfoCard." The brand also created an unnatural discontinuity between previous versions of our framework and the current version. With this in mind we have decided to rename WinFX to the .NET Framework 3.0. .NET Framework 3.0 aptly identifies the technology for exactly what it is - the next version of our developer framework. The change is in name only and will not affect the technologies being delivered as part of the product. The .NET Framework 3.0 is still comprised of the existing .NET Framework 2.0 components, including ASP.NET, WinForms, ADO.NET, additional base class libraries and the CLR, as well as new developer-focused innovative technologies in WPF, WCF, WF and WCS
So .NET 3.0 is really .NET 2.0 with some other stuff that they were working on tacked onto the side. The upcoming C# 3.0 will probably target .NET 4.0, which will be CLR 3.0, and WinFX 2.0. Everyone still following? Of course none of that matters. It will still be refered to by everyone as 3.0 - which of course is the point of it all. One way to look at it is that it simplifies having to explain to people what WinFX is. Of course, you shouldn't have to explain that to them any more than you should what WinForms is. The biggest (and probably only real) boon is that it makes distributing apps that build on these a lot easier. The fun part is initially trying to get your head around it. EDIT: Added link.
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Advertisement
Did they hire the Sun people to confuse us with all the numbers?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Last I checked, C#3.0 wouldn't require any changes to .NET or the CLR, so it'd still target .NET 2.0
I love the little diagram they have at the link. "We are changing the name of one of our technologies. This is what the change will look like from a strategy/pretty diagram point of view. Note the change in lettering."
Quote:Original post by jflanglois
I love the little diagram they have at the link. "We are changing the name of one of our technologies. This is what the change will look like from a strategy/pretty diagram point of view. Note the change in lettering."
The diagram is more complex than that. The color changed too!

I couldn't find where in the article that they said they had been hiring Sun engineers. Could you post a link to that??

Cheers
Chris
CheersChris
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Last I checked, C#3.0 wouldn't require any changes to .NET or the CLR, so it'd still target .NET 2.0

Well I admit not keeping as much up to speed as I probably should, so it was just something of an assumption that there would be CLI changes in the next version as well.

Quote:Original post by chollida1
I couldn't find where in the article that they said they had been hiring Sun engineers. Could you post a link to that??

Yeah, that was me being facetious...
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Did they hire the Sun people to confuse us with all the numbers?

i think that was the joke. besides, they already have the xbox division for that. ba-zing!
Quote:probably target .NET 4.0, which will be CLR 3.0, and WinFX 2.0.

No PartridgeIAPT 1.0?
Quote:Original post by Cypher19
Quote:probably target .NET 4.0, which will be CLR 3.0, and WinFX 2.0.

No PartridgeIAPT 1.0?

[lol]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement