Sign in to follow this  

Structs and Textures

This topic is 4204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've recently been working on a platformer, and ran into a wierd bug. I'm not sure if its due to my data losing scope or what, but I created a class that holds the information about the world. Well I also included an array to hold information about each cell, and of course one of these would be the texture being used for that cell. Now when I try to use that texture to draw my sprites to the screen they never show up. So after a bit of working, I transfered the texture information out of the struct and made it its own array, and it works fine. Anyone know a reason behind this? The rest of the data from the struct works fine and can update at the same location where I need to draw, but for some reason I can't retrieve any texture information. Thanks for your time. Slyprid

Without more details its near impossible to tell for sure.

Was the field a IDirect3DTexture9* pointer? (if so, were you AddRef'ing copies, or re-loading per-tile?), if not, then what information are you storing?

What are the debug runtimes saying?

Using an invalid texture sometimes generates a debug message, if not you'll get a solid white (iirc) colour instead.

hth
Jack

Was wondering if I should throw the code in or not. Well let me try to give it a shot.

Main loop
All this is is where the rendering is happening

sprite->Draw(world->cells[y][x],0,0);

World class

#pragma once

#include <d3d9.h>
#include <d3dx9.h>
#include <d3dx9math.h>
#include <assert.h>
#include <string>
#include "DX.h"

using namespace std;

class clsWorld
{
private:
struct cellData
{
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 texture;
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 overlay;
bool overlay_visible;
string event_type;
int event_LocX;
int event_LocY;
bool textured;
};

public:
clsWorld();
int world;
int stage;
int cellTotal;
int worldLength;
int worldHeight;
int FocusX;
int FocusY;
int back1X;
int back2X;
LPD3DXSPRITE handler;

cellData cells[4][50];

LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9 LoadTexture(char *filename, D3DCOLOR transcolor);

};
extern clsWorld *world;

In the main I declare clsWorld *world like I do with all my other externs, but like I said the texture info within the struct doesn't seem to show up. Will try to get what debug is saying and post also. Thanks for your time.

Slyprid

You are passing the entire struct into the draw call. Try this:

sprite->Draw(world->cells[y][x].texture,0,0);

Also, you don't seem to be giving the call all the parms it needs. I am not really familiar with sprites, but what about:

CONST RECT * pSrcRect,
CONST D3DXVECTOR3 * pCenter,
CONST D3DXVECTOR3 * pPosition,
D3DCOLOR Color

Maybe you are using an older SDK version?

The draw command I use is just a function. Thats why its only 3 parameters. I forgot to type in the .texture for the struct on the command also. Thats what i'm actually using.

This topic is 4204 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.