Sign in to follow this  
m4ster

Lock. vs Blt SOLVED

What do you think is faster? Fill a Surface with black using a Color Blit or a Lock and setting the VRAM to 0? [Edited by - m4ster on January 14, 2007 12:43:00 PM]

Can we have a side-order of context to go with that?

I guess DirectDraw, but you could be using Direct3D (IDirect3DDevice9::ColorFill()?)...

Either way, its difficult to say which is faster - the graphics pipeline is a finely balanced beast that often defies sweeping statements regarding performance [smile]

A simple test would be to profile it yourself - I'm sure that both methods wouldn't be hard to write. Just wrap them inside QueryPerformanceCounter() blocks and see what you get...

hth
Jack

Hey,

I mean in DirectDraw. I forget to write this, because I just worked with DirectDraw until now.

But I think it is better to use the blitter, because you dont have to care about the pitch.

[Edited by - m4ster on January 14, 2007 12:16:08 PM]

I may be wrong, but wouldn't using Blt allow DirectX to take advantage of any hardware support for the operation that may be present on a given computer? If you use Lock and memset or whatever, you will force the operation into main CPU etc.

After a long night I decided to take the Blt(and ColorFill) method. Not because of any speed reasons, just because it's simplyer to implement. I haven't to care about the extra memory pieces to make the surface a multiple of 2.

EasilyConfused
Yes, you are right, this is another very important point. Thank you.

[Edited by - m4ster on January 14, 2007 12:50:29 PM]