Sign in to follow this  
Fixxer

Steps and process for creating a game engine

Ok I have been working on a game, and so far my code has been getting all messy and crammed, im getting stuck on a lot of parts to the game engine, but I think my main problem is I dont know the steps to creating one! Can some one please tell me the steps to create a game engine. Meaning physics, sound, networking, graphics, etc. Im not asking for code, just theory.

I have read that before, it didnt help very much.
I mean like... example

First create the actual game it self. Do the menus and stuff later.
Start off with the 3D engine. Get stuff to load on the screen, and go where you want it to go. This would be the time to make your level editor, and your own level loading algorithm if you are making one.

Then move on to the camera movement.

etc etc

I dont know how commercial game engines function.
Do they load all of the games sounds when the game is 1st loaded, or between each level change.

What does an engines loop cycle look like!

Are all aspects of the game dealt with in one, or by subject. Example would be a player firing a gun.

Now do I detect for the input, and right away play the sound in the same function, or does an input handler set a variable to true, and when the sound engine sees that the variable is true, it plays the sound.

Right now I am able to walk around and stuff in my game, but I dont know how on earth i would now be able to tell which level to load, how to exit the game back to the menu, add other key aspects like networking etc, because I just randomly went out of ordr and threw stuff in.

Also I think my coding could use some help.... this is all of my code for my game so far...

Source Code

There are probably no fixed formulae here, it depends on what you want to do.

Point of interest: You want to avoid hardcoding data into the game like you have it now, so you want to create a resource manager and a level loader. The resource manager takes care of loading resources, passing a reference to a loaded resource if the requested resource is already loaded, unload a resource to make room for another, and similar task. The level itself could be a resource also, specifying the entities it contains and the resources needed to represent them. If your levels are reasonably small, you can probably get away with loading most of the level's resources once (when entering the level). Otherwise you will need a continuous loading scheme that streams content as it is needed and unloads it when it is no longer needed.

The design issues are all up to you. Here's a very basic structure that could help you get started: separate the various "components" such as AI, physics, sound, rendering, scene graph into their own classes. You could then call an update function on each component. A typical game loop could then look something like this:

while(1) {
time.updateTime(); // advance the clock
input.update(); // process keyboard and mouse events
if(PLAYER_REQUESTS_EXIT == 1) {
doCleanup();
exit();
}
ai.updateAI(); // do game logic
gfx.update(); // culling, sorting
gfx.render(); // render the graphics
audio.update(); // play the music and sounds
}

Okay, so say when a player moves.

They press W, and I move the player object x amount forward, and I play the footstep sound.

Do I do the thing where one function checks for input at the top of the loop, and then later down in the loop, the graphics function updates the graphics and then after that a sound function checks for the variable and plays the sound, or can I do something like this...

CheckPlayerMoveUp()
{
if up key is pressed
move player object
play footstep sound
update player location variables
end if
}

if it doesnt matter id rather do it the 2nd way, since it would be more organized, and when there is a problem, I can say "Hey, my footsteps arnt playing, why!" and I look in the player move section, instead of going through 3 or 4 different functions to mae sure that all the variables are being passed and getting there. Would probably be faster that way too.

Also:

For the main app loop, what do I do?

while apploop == true
{
if mode = 1
MainMenu

else if mode = 2
GameEngine

else if quitmessage = 1
quit app
}

Also:

What data is hardcoded and what data shouldnt be?
Should I have stuff like weapon settings (ammo, rof, mags), level settings 9game time, max players per team) in settings files, or hard coded?

To answer that question, you probably first wanna think about how you are going to handle messaging between objects. You're going to have a lot of objects interacting eventually, and it probably isn't practical to have each one keep track of each other object. So you need a way to pass information between objects.

You could have your player object register handler callbacks with the input object, which I think then would result in something somewhat similar to number 2. Or you could, say, push a message that said "player movement detected, forward" into a queue and then get that message from the world processing when you update the world, there advancing the player position and creating a one-shot 3d sound object at the appropriate place.

I haven't implemented this yet, so my advice may not be worth the pixels it uses up on screen :)

Edit: for number 2, what is your question?

For number 3: ideally you should not have any data hardcoded. Your data members are hard coded in your object classes but all specific data is pulled from scripts or configuration files or data files. For example, you don't really want to recompile the whole thing just because you've decided to change the max team size from 12 to 14, right?

Quote:
Original post by lightbringer
To answer that question, you probably first wanna think about how you are going to handle messaging between objects. You're going to have a lot of objects interacting eventually, and it probably isn't practical to have each one keep track of each other object. So you need a way to pass information between objects.

You could have your player object register handler callbacks with the input object, which I think then would result in something somewhat similar to number 2. Or you could, say, push a message that said "player movement detected, forward" into a queue and then get that message from the world processing when you update the world, there advancing the player position and creating a one-shot 3d sound object at the appropriate place.

I haven't implemented this yet, so my advice may not be worth the pixels it uses up on screen :)

Edit: for number 2, what is your question?

For number 3: ideally you should not have any data hardcoded. Your data members are hard coded in your object classes but all specific data is pulled from scripts or configuration files or data files. For example, you don't really want to recompile the whole thing just because you've decided to change the max team size from 12 to 14, right?

Question 2:

for the main application loop.
The game starts with a splash and initialization, before the main app loop, but then the user will want to go to the main menu, to the game, and then maybe back to the main menu. Would that be a good way of deciding which should be running, the main menu, the game, etc.

Also, here I got started on a new idea for my engine.
Tell me if this is a step up from the source I posted before, or going totally the wrong way.

#include "DarkSDK.h"
#include "Application.h"
//#include "Splash.h"
//#include "MainMenu.h"
//#include "GameStart.h"
//#include "GameEnd.h"
//#include "World.h"
//#include "Player.h"
//#include "Weapon.h"
//#include "GameEngine.h"

igeApplication Application;

void DarkSDK ( void )
{
while(Application.LoopStatus() == true)
{

}
}

All the header files would include one class (much more organized and easy to find problems etc)

So anything the player does, would be handled with the Player class. Just like a human. Some methods methods (correct term?) might be Walk, PickUpItem, ShootGun, Run, Die, Crouch, etc

Some World methods might be PlaceBulletHole, CreateFire, CreateExplosion, etc.

So when Human.Walk is called, that function moves the player, updates variables, platys proper sound, and detects collision etc all in one.

This is easier, since I can easily do all this with the DSDK.

Playing a sound is as simple as dbPlaySound(iSoundNum);

The weapon class would need to be called from the player class... so I would need to look up on how to create sub classes or something like that? Member classes? I dont know the correct term :P

Guest Anonymous Poster
Honestly I strongly recomend Game Coding Complete, Second Edition by Mike McShaffry published by PARAGLYPH PRESS. It's one of the few books I have read that goes over in detail, the process of creating a game engine using stratagies comertial games use. It goes over a framework for your application, a cooperative multitasking process manager, a resource loader, events and triggers, scripting languages, audio, graphics, and scene graphs.

I can't help you much with C++ because I program in Java, but breaking up the source code into various files is a good start I think.

For game states, you want to implement some kind of game state control. How you do this is totally up to you. It can be as simple as a switch statement or as complicated as a stack where you push GameState objects on top. Depending on the current state you would forego some stuff. For instance, in a single-player game, you could probably stop updating the world, the ai, maybe the time when the player is looking at a program menu.

You don't want to derive weapon from player... they are not related really, except for both being entities. You could derive both from an entity class if you have something you want to make common to all game entities though (since you're working in C++, you may want to implement reference counting in a common base class, for instance). Check out this article to get started on thinking more generically about your game entities.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for the help!

And annonymous Ill check that book out.

I dont think there is, but is there an easy way to store game files in pak, pck, or cab files?

Also:

Here is my reasoning for putting the weapon inside the person.
The person initiates the action of the gun firing, and can hold, and manipulate a gun right.

The gun can't fire by it self! Im trying to give real world aspect to my classes like my book said.

The only thing shooting a gun will be a player object, so it would work right?

Ok, so since my last post, I have started a new workspace, and am working on my new version of my engine.

After 219 lines of code, I have a simple program that runs, opens a master settings file that will always be named the same thing that contains information for the program to run like display mode, window title etc.

It opens that, reads the data, and makes the changes to the application.

I also have a simple Error Handler that handls ALL errors through out the program.
I simply make a call like this to my functions that could possibly return an error .

// INITIALIZE APPLICATION
if(ErrorHandler.Report(Application.Initialize()) != 0)
{
Application.SetLoop(false);
}

This code right here initializes the application, makes changes, and if the settings file cannot be found, the error handler handles the error by displaying a message box stating the error, and then I opted to add additional code by telling the application to stop the loop, and shutdown.

To be blunt, it seems like you're well behind the point where you should be considering any sizable application, let alone a game engine. You might be better suited to aim for something slightly smaller, or with less intent on doing it right. Doing everything right is fine and all, but is quite slow; you generally learn more from doing things wrong anyways...

That said,

Quote:

Ok I have been working on a game, and so far my code has been getting all messy and crammed, im getting stuck on a lot of parts to the game engine, but I think my main problem is I dont know the steps to creating one!

Actually, it sounds like you don't have a high level design document, or much forethought into the actual design before coding. Helps with cram and clutter.

Quote:

Do they load all of the games sounds when the game is 1st loaded, or between each level change.

What does an engines loop cycle look like!

Are all aspects of the game dealt with in one, or by subject.

No, generally sounds are loaded as needed, or batched along with the level or some 'theme'.

The loop cycle, like what order to do things will vary depending on the game, the design, your skill, your teams' composition... Multithreaded apps might look similar in their loops, although in practice the concurancy makes them hard to diagram.

Quote:

Do I do the thing where one function checks for input at the top of the loop, and then later down in the loop, the graphics function updates the graphics and then after that a sound function checks for the variable and plays the sound, or can I do something like this...

Or you can have the key trigger an event which has the various reactions bound to it, or the key can trigger a message that is handled by the various movement reactions... Those sort of designs tend to be more friendly to keybinding and the such.

Quote:

if it doesnt matter id rather do it the 2nd way, since it would be more organized, and when there is a problem, I can say "Hey, my footsteps arnt playing, why!" and I look in the player move section, instead of going through 3 or 4 different functions to mae sure that all the variables are being passed and getting there. Would probably be faster that way too.

And then you'd also have to include the sound/gfx/networking/etc headers in c++ which is perhaps undesirable.

Quote:

For the main app loop, what do I do? (states)

I wouldn't do it that way, though it's fine for simple games. A proper state system or a psuedo state system built off of the UI are perhaps more flexible.

Quote:

I dont think there is, but is there an easy way to store game files in pak, pck, or cab files?

I hear zlib is easy to use, but who cares? Make it work first. It's easy to fiddle a little with loading code later.

Quote:

Im trying to give real world aspect to my classes like my book said.

Which book if you don't mind answering? Personally, I find basing "object" in OOP around actual objects (rather than conceptual objects, or solutions) is... failure-prone.

Quote:

I simply make a call like this to my functions that could possibly return an error .

But what of ones that return values?

As Telastyn mentioned, starting off with something simple and learning from your mistakes may be preferable... the basic concepts for the game loop don't really change, and you'll have some codebase for some of the lowlevel stuff to work off to create something bigger. Maybe something like a nethack clone?

About the gun, what you mean is composition, where an object contains other objects. That's fine. I'm also not sure if giving the system additional complexity by basing it off reality is a good idea or not. The process of firing projectiles and applying damage is probably very similar between different weapons.

Something like zlib can help with creating resource archives, but first you may want to create an interface to the filesystem that abstracts away the actual technicalities of whether the file is in an archive or not (or it may abstract the whole filesystem, though you may not have much reason to do something like that right now). Then you can do both types of access transparently.

Usually a game engine is divided in several separate layers. First you could have some basic layer where all system specific code resides. This can be handy because all your higher layers will use this, so once you want to port your engine to another OS, you only have to port this basic layer.

Next layer could be an abstraction. For example there is no such thing as a Bullet or Player here, instead you have something like a GameObject and you try to find what all GameObjects should have incommon, for example (position, velocity, shape, ...).
A very basic layout could look like this:

class GameObject {
Vector velocity;
Point position;
float mass;

//to be implemented in your next layer.
//Or you could let this have some basic implementation
//which draws primitives (without textures).
virtual void draw() = 0;
void integrate();
};

class Engine {
AbstractMap *map;
float gravity;

void draw(); //calls AbstractMap.draw()
};

class AbstractMap {
GameObject *objs;

void draw(); //draws each object
};

And in the next layer (if really needed), you could make a more specific implementation, something like you are trying to do now.

For switching back to menu's and such you could work with a frame or something...

class Window {
Frame *frame;

void setCurrentFrame(Frame *frame);
void draw(); //calls Frame.draw();
};

class Frame {
virtual void draw() = 0;
virtual void processInputEvents() = 0;
};

//and then an implementation in your game...
class MenuFrame : Frame {
//as a result of an option select, you call window.setCurrentFrame(someOtherFrame);
};

class GameFrame : Frame {
};

class OptionsFrame : Frame {
};

Thanks for all the info.
What I have so far is pretty basic.

I can make a simple game, and build upon the engine and make changes as my programs increase in size and difficulty.

You may want to include a scripting language of some kind "from day one"; I need to start doing this as well as I have a few games where I've started and expected to install a scripting engine later, and then never got around to it (ending up with piles of special-case hacks instead).

It's also super useful for prototyping.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Honestly I strongly recomend Game Coding Complete, Second Edition by Mike McShaffry published by PARAGLYPH PRESS. It's one of the few books I have read that goes over in detail, the process of creating a game engine using stratagies comertial games use. It goes over a framework for your application, a cooperative multitasking process manager, a resource loader, events and triggers, scripting languages, audio, graphics, and scene graphs.

I second that. Dispite the book having typos here and there, it is still a very good book for someone just getting into game engine programming. It will tell you what you need to know to get a good idea of how the game engine works and how to program one. It even gives insight on what it is like to work in the industry. But in my opinion, the code is rather sloppy. I think it's just his style. So that's good too, if you know what good code is and is not. He at least gives you a solid foundation for starting out.

There is a difference between a game engine and a game. A game will implement the game engine at high level to function. It seems as though what you're trying to do is make the game a part of the engine. But that's ok because a hard coded game will run faster than a scripted one. But you just might want to make a totally different game afterwards with the same engine, and the engine has all this stuff built in for like an FPS, and you don't want to rewrite the whole thing, so you should think about keeping the game code and the engine code separate.

The engine should handle things like scene graphing, resource management, messages (especially when running in an OS like Windows), messages between objects in the engine, sound, networking, physics, user interface, and probably a few others. Each of these topics goes pretty much in depth.

Here is a simplified version of how I'm doing it, and I have found that it works pretty well. There is no short way to say this. I'll start from the top down (hence, the steps):

There is the high level code which is where the main() function is. This is your high level code. If you want to load a scene, you should do it from here. In this high level code, you have a variable of type CApplication, which is a user made class, which is the application layer.

CApplication is where I have a high resolution timer for stopwatching the time between frames. Each frame, I send the amount of time that has elapsed down the update pipe, and this time will go through mostly all objects in the game engine telling them how much to update. It keeps everything in sync (I also pass down a pointer to a stucture containing input from a mouse and keyboard so that objects can update themselves accordingly, and input is updated in the CApplication class as well). Rendering is similar in that it follows the same pipe or chain of objects, but instead it passes down a LPDIRECT3DDEVICE9 object so that scene nodes can draw themselves.

So, there's the application layer, which is pretty much code that will handle what your program does in the OS. This is also where the main loop is located. If the OS tells your program to close, the application layer will handle this. I implemented this as a single class.

Inside this class is another member variable of type CSceneManager, another user made class that can handle any number of scenes. So inside the CSceneManager class is a list (a special templitized class for storing objects or pointers to objects) of CScene objects, another user made class.

Inside the CScene class, there is an instance of CRootNode, which is another user made class that derives from CSceneNode. I like to think that the scene node is the life and breath of the game engine, because without it, you can't draw anything, you can't interact with anything... These scene nodes are basically the objects that live inside of your game that the player can interact with.

Scene graphing is probably the most core element of a game engine, so you might want to learn about that really early on. Learn about scene nodes and stuff. Get that down and you can move on to the other parts. The scene graph is practically the engine itself.

Here's a few things to keep in mind:
When you go in to program your game engine, you want to think about flexibility. A scripting engine can help a lot with that. But if you're just starting out with your first engine, I wouldn't bother (but it wouldn't hurt to have one).

Another tip for keeping things flexible (and every engine should impliment this in my opinion, unless there's something better) is to use a single base class for each type of object. Especially with the scene nodes, you will want every type of scene node to inherit from the same scene node class, so that you can have different types of scene nodes, like maybe a mesh node that has a vertex buffer and index buffer or somthing like that, and then a light node that controlls the lighting in the scene, and also a camera node that controlls the view and projection matricies on a frame render, and stuff like that. And they all inherit from the same base class, so you can stuff them all into a single list and go through them sequentially. I would recommend keeping the lights and camera in separate lists from the other scene nodes though so that you can update those first before the rest of the scene nodes.

I could go on about scene nodes and tell you what they actually are and how they work and how to make one, but there are other places to learn that.

Really, the best advice though, is to get a book on the subject. Get several books. That way you can read through it over and over untill it sinks in and actually get it. Not all books are geared toward beginners though, and many that are are meant for like, the consumer, the person who really likes playing games all the time and thinks that because they are good at playing them they should be good at making them. Yeah, stay away from those books. They will teach game programming in another language or to a specific game engine.

So, I totally went on a long and boring rant, and although I tried to keep it short, my thoughts just spilled. So I guess you can say it's no easy job to learn this stuff, but it sure is fun and rewarding when you get somthing that actually works the way you wanted it to.

Quote:

Really, the best advice though, is to get a book on the subject. Get several books. That way you can read through it over and over untill it sinks in and actually get it.

Except of course that what you recommend isn't the best advice, and it isn't going to sink in (at least not to any useful level) until you get practical experience fiddling with it; seeing what works, what doesn't, the (dis)advtantages, and why.

Wow nice write up :)
Thanks.

I am having trouble with this for some reason:

I am getting this error message

main.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: int __thiscall igeSplash::PlaySplash(char *)" (?PlaySplash@igeSplash@@QAEHPAD@Z)
Debug/InsaneCombat.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

when I try putting a point in my function.

Look here at how I prototype it.

int PlaySplash(char *sSplashFile);

In this function, it opens up the splash CFG file and plays the splash screens (if any). I decided I am making a game engine 1st for a 2D game, sorta like starcraft. That type of game (although I know not nearly as grand).

I get that error, but the functions in the DSDK to use files need a char * variable to work.

I am stuck here :/

I did write one, and tried a full rebuild and it doesnt work.
It only gets rid of the linker error when I take the pointer out of the function, but then my function cannot work because the variable I am passing into is a char pointer.

I fixed it.

Here is a small demo of what I have so far.

Link

ONCE THE LAST IMAGE FADES PRESS ESCAPE KEY TO EXIT!

I decided I wanted to add a sort of pre game cinematic. Not really a movie, just text on the screen, and I am going to have a cool voice read it, and have all these image fades and transitions in between slides that I am going to have to program.

But everything so far can be edited through the settings files, well not everything, but everything I am going to want to change usually from project to project. I am planning on making an editor in VC# 2005 to quickly type in the values for the settings files so I can easily make new ones very quickly, and so can anyone else who decideds to use the engine (probably no one, but still a cool feature to have )

[Edited by - Fixxer on June 14, 2006 10:46:59 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Fixxer
I decided I wanted to add a sort of pre game cinematic. Not really a movie, just text on the screen, and I am going to have a cool voice read it, and have all these image fades and transitions in between slides that I am going to have to program.

What you could do is make it a powerpoint presentation then capture the output and make some voiceovers then just play it like an avi file. You'd be saving signifficantly on programming effort that way :D

Quote:
Original post by lightbringer
Quote:
Original post by Fixxer

What you could do is make it a powerpoint presentation then capture the output and make some voiceovers then just play it like an avi file. You'd be saving signifficantly on programming effort that way :D

Or any movie editing software. If you dont want to buy a piece of software, windows has movie make which is pretty neat for free. Also you will be able to save it in many formats which can be loaded by your loader.

Good luck.

I could, but with the splash functions I have already made, I can simply just edit the audio, and just add more splash screens to the splash cfg file :)