Basic4GL

Started by
9 comments, last by Neotox 17 years, 9 months ago
I have begun using Basic4GL and am liking the results I am getting. You can pick it up quick and make some pretty decent programs, and I think it is a good place to start when thinking of learning a language. [Edited by - Kenny77 on June 13, 2006 2:40:09 PM]
Advertisement
No one heard of it?

http://www.basic4gl.net/

Well, you didn't give us much to discuss. Would you care to write a detailled review? What are its strong points? What are its weak points? What is it bad for? How does it compare with other languages and frameworks? It's not enough to just say "I like FOO", you have to tell us why.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I can't really talk much about it because I just started myself, but so far I have learned what I have reviewed really easily and judging by the example programs it could make some pretty good games.
i think Basic4GL should be in For Beginners FAQ.

and also someone should start a Basic4GL vs. Visual Basic + DX thread right away [grin]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes

If you seriously think so, I'll add it. Can you tell me more about it?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Fruny

If you seriously think so, I'll add it. Can you tell me more about it?

Honestly, I do only because it's a Basic wrapper for OpenGL which is a good balance or alternative to Visual Basic (6.0 or .NET) + DX (regular or Managed). Also seeing that it comes with it's own compiler and debugger and converted NeHe tutorial it should be easy for any beginner to jump right in. The setup is basically a download, install, run program. No attaching libraries, setting up linkers, wondering what version goes with what. Basic4GL comes in its own package and setup.

Other than that, I can't say much else.

Don't forget the Tao Framework (OpenGL for Visual Basic .NET).

Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Well I use basic 4gl alot so heres a report:

weak points:

1. needs add ons for exe compressing (upx)and multisound (open al)

2. can't run as fast as visual basic

3. small comunity (all though more people are hearing of it

4. weak network system

6. basic 4gl maker has little time to update

7. no short cuts for model loading

strong points:

1. easy to install

2. easy to transport

3. light hevey

4. basic but with shortcuts and a few extra tecnoligies

5. can make exes (must make sure you have a compatible version)

6. loads of turtorials

7. good for begginers

I guess it's not good enough for the FAQ. Or I didn't give a good argument for it being in the FAQ [sad]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement