University Courses

Started by
1 comment, last by Kenny77 17 years, 10 months ago
Hello again, I have been looking into university and scholarships as it (surprisingly) gets closer to the date where I want to attend. I am a bit unfamiliar, but as far as I can tell you take a major and minor in university. And the programs I have been researching are, of course, Computer Science as a major. It involves the following: http://www.cs.ualberta.ca/courses/ And as a minor, psychology. I feel this could allow me to study the amazing field of Artificial Intelligence, and as a side bonus, player psychology when they are playing the games and how they react/respond/correlate to both NPCs and PCs. If anyone has attended similiar courses, or what would be AMAZING, the University of Alberta, and could mentor me in a half an hour session on MSN as to what going to university pertains, the courses I have to choose, the amount, and what would get me where I want to go I would be overjoyed. Or even helpful replies to this topic are lifesavers. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this. :D
Advertisement
Every University has different requirements for majors and minors. Most schools have you take up to 2 majors (usually in related fields) and a few minors (probably no limit). Also, most schools won't have you "officially" declare your major until your sophomore years, though you should be taking classes in whatever subjects you plan to study.

Most colleges will have some sort of "guidelines" for each major. They will have all you required classes in your major, any required outside, and any requirements for your free electives. There will also probably be a "plan" online laying out all the required classes year by year. This is great to build your schedule around, but you should be able to change it quite a bit.

I'm not sure what kind of high School you went to, but college can be quite different. You will be allowed to take practically any classes you want and schedule them whenever you want. There is alot of freedom involved especially when you are not livin at home. You will be able to attend parties, skip classes, whatever. The trick to being successful is to balance academics and socializing.

Make friends early on. It is especially easy when you live in your dorms. Try to find people in your major as well as outside of it (believe me, you will get sick of the same people in most of your classes). Make sure to have fun fun when you can - play sports, join clubs, hang out, party- but always remeber academics come first.

Hope that can help out a little. I just finished my Freshman year studying Computer Science and Computer Engineering and I think I did well. I made quite good grades, and I managed to have quite a bit of fun while I was at it. I won't be on for a bit probably, but you may be able to reach me on AIM after 10 PM central time. My screen name is in my profile. Feel free to email as well.

Good luck with your college planning!
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Try this:

http://jobs1.ea.com/coop/index.html#

co-op at EA Sports, if that's what you're into. U of Alberta's included.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement