Needed Programs!

Started by
3 comments, last by hplus0603 17 years, 10 months ago
Just some quick questions as I am a newbie to this: 1) What are some needed programs to making computer games? 2) Are these programs good for making MMORPGs? 3) What are the required skills to making these computer games? Thank you! If I have more questions I would post it. Again, thank you!
Advertisement
If you're alone making a game you'll probably need a compiler and something to make art/graphics with. You'll also need over 2 years of experience to even think about making a mmorpg and a team that's relativley good.
1.) Compiler, linker, and a text editor. Usually can be found all in one with IDE's like MSVC and Dev-C++.
2.) Indeed. Though you might wanna get something else, depends on what language you intend on learning.
3.) Good knowledge of the language, how to link libraries, and especially how to use those libraries like OpenGL or some other graphics API. And I mean *good* knowledge of the language. Don't expect it to come anytime soon, it'll take work. There are some good stickies at the top of those forum to get you started.

-Etyrn

Edit: Looks like someone beat me. :O
Also, design your games within the limits of your programming abilities or you will be stuck with unfinished projects. It is always good to implement new concepts but take baby steps.
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
If you want to make an MMORPG, I suggest that you get RealmCrafter. It's an environment developed specifically for creating an MMORPG, and comes with some free starter art you can use, too!

Otherwise, please click the "for beginners" or "start here" links at the top of this site, and go from there.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement