Sign in to follow this  

NetLib4Games network engine (LGPL)

This topic is 4195 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I hope it is appropriate to post this here. I have a C++ network library that's currently gathering dust on SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/netlib4games It's UDP/IP based, runs on Windows, and implements your usual features: * Reliable/unreliable packets * Ordered/unordered packets * Automatic fragmentation and reassembly of large packets * Automatic connection state handling (timeouts and keepalives) * Multiple channels I'd call it a medium-level library (as opposed to a high-level library that imposes its structure on your application). You basically open connections and send/receive data and it hides the underlying logic from you. It's been tested in a LAN environment (a 5 player deathmatch), and it seems to hold up okay. It should in theory work fine under internet conditions - it was definitely designed to - however I haven't tested this yet. Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has any interest in using this, or possibly extending it further? I think it has potential... (Or has this been done to death already?) Appreciate your thoughts, -Tom

This is a fine place to post that question.

What I find lacking between the "UDP wrapper" libraries and the "structure your game" libraries is a good library that understands data (does marshalling, demarshalling, state deltas etc) without imposing component structure on your application. If you're looking to differentiate yourself, that'd probably be a good thing to work at.

This topic is 4195 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.